SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CSS Flexibility Problem

im having a problem with my CSS site... anyone can observed the problem by changing the resolution, specially the sidebar area. it works well on some browsers but im having problem with IE. the layout is flexible enough from 800 to 1024... beyond than that, you'll see what i mean.. hope anyone could help me here...

the site is hosted under tripod temporarily...
    http://khaki-monster.tripod.com/demosite/index.html

tanx in advanced...

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to Sitepoint! It looks like the culprit is your use of a combination of pixels and percentages to handle your layout's dimensions.

I suggest you choose a standard unit of measurement and stick with it for your layout.

Percentages are bad for layout (especially where text is concerned) because the container will resize horizontally with the browser window, which can result in a very small display area for text, which can cause the text to wrap rather unexpectedly.

Setting a fixed width for your document will not help either, when using percentages for layout.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaki_monster
    anyone can observed the problem by changing the resolution, specially the sidebar area.
    Afraid not. I've checked your page in FF & IE at 800, 1024 and 1280 and it looks OK in all cases.
    And FWIW, I don't subscribe to Dan's view that % is bad for layout and I can't see anything particularly wrong with what you've done with your CSS so far.