SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Outlook Express

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outlook Express

As Netscape will not work properly on my wifes computer I have decided reluctantly to use Outlook Express if I can safeguard her machine from virus problems. She has Norton AV on it but Liveupdate doesn't work like it should so updates are not always timely.

As she uses it strictly for monitoring basic email and doesn't need html on her mail can html and vbasic, or whatever the virus use to get a start, be totally disabled eliminating any concern about her accidentally opening attachments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you are concern about OE security holes you might try another email client like the Free version of Eudora (warning in includes ads).

Here's the url: http://www.eudora.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of any viruses that can get activated if you don't open the attachment that is the virus.

So I don't know how to disable vbasic in OE, but you can create a message rule so that all messages which have an attachment get sent to a special folder. Then either you or she can review them to see if they're safe to be opened. (You can right-click on a message and view its properties, which will tell you something about the attachment and who it came from, without actually opening the message or its attachment.)

In my mind, it's an education issue, not a software configuration issue. If your wife understands that she shouldn't open every single attachment she receives, then she'll probably be safe.
    RedFish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use eudora, its great.

Another good one is http://www.pmail.com. Pegasus

I don't know about turning it off, im sure you can though. ITs prolly a registry hack or something like that. Check the microsoft knowledgebase.

As was mentioned above, it is a training issue. Just tell her NOT to open ANY files received from OE UNLESS she is absolutely sure of where it came from.
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?