SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do CMS Systems generate SEO Websites?

Now that I'm getting some understanding on how SEO works. My next question is related to CMS packages. Are these CMS packages on the market today SEO or do I have to go behind the scenes and make them search engine optimizable? What about the opensource systems like Joomla?

Thanks.

Matt

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will vary from CMS to CMS. Some are SE-friendly out of the box. Some need to be modified. Some are just not going to be SE-friendly anytime soon. You will need to check with the vendor to see if they are search engine friendly. If they are, they typically use it as a selling point so it should be obvious when visiting the vendor's website.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better look at the samples of sites that are created with the help of this CMS. If you are "getting some understanding on how SEO works" you will be able to see if the web site is full doodle, or the guys who were creating it DID give it all SEO power.

If this content manager leaves some footprints (like "created with bla-bla solution") submit "created with bla-bla solution" to Google and check the real sites created with it. If they rank nicely on average keywords, this is a good chance you'll reach the same results.

Still, even with perfect CMS you should never stop with adding more quality content and gain good link partners to your site. This is what only you can do.
    !BEST BARGAIN! - 100% Free Link Exchange Script
    Isn't it better @ zero cost to use the tool
    which is better than $90+ solutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joomla is great for SEs. i'm just building a new site in it.

SitePoint Enthusiast Insane_Edna's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla is only good for SEO if you add additional components like Open-Sef or Sef Advance. Open-Sef is free and open source and the developers are very active on the message boards, Sef Advance isn't free. I have used Open-Sef and am very happy with it and the help I have recieved in using this component. I have no experience with Sef Advance and can't comment on it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for a SE friendly one try either Dupal or Typo3 they are both SE friendly.
    Learn to Play Anything Song in Minutes Online Lessons