SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Music, movies and books reviews

mumobo is the name I chose for my latest online project.

The idea is simple: writing about the music, movies and books I enjoy. The reviews must have a clear voice and sound exactly like me talking to a friend and telling him what's worth listening, watching or reading.

It's a very personal site of course, everybody have different tastes. mumobo is for people that like, or could like, the things I like.

It's based on Drupal 4.7 and the design is a simple layout that was inspired in some vintage style photographs that I liked.

My focus in on content but I also wanted to provide a fresh look, a site with its own unique style.

What do you think about the design and the quality of my content?

What about the idea? Would you care about reading other's opinions on music, movies and books?

Regards!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alexisb,
    In Firefox @ 1024x768:

Yes, I'm interested in reading reviews, as long as they're insightfully written.

I think you need a brief description on what your site offers up top. (I see one at the bottom of the page.) To that end, I think Mr. Amazon needs to lay claim to less real estate.

I tested the search with "al p" (which search replied it didn't like) and my original entry PLUS whatever I tried to enter after that (without reloading the page) turned light yellow-ish - almost invisible.

Some of the review titles have a "partially-erased" effect. Intentional?

I'm not crazy about the review titles in a lighter-gray box. Could use some padding too.

I'd like to see the forum area not just reuse the text the reviews above do. It could use a style to delineate it more (visually) from what is above and a header - like "Comment on a review", "Join the Mumobo Community" or something like that.

I think the Chitika box needs some sort of header - like "Chitika Mini-mall Shopping" or something like that. I also think the larger product image in there is barely big enough to really see what it depicts.

Overall I might consider outlines or something to give the page more structure, (maybe even throw in another bg color somewhere).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Topher, thank you very much for your clear and helpful comments, taking notice of them for future changes.

Any comments about the content?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I wouldn't be too interested in other people's reviews. I suppose in theory you could become some kind of a full time critic, but to be honest I just stick to what I read in the newspaper. Or on Rotten Tomatoes.

I would remove the Amazon ad from right beside the header. Besides there is another one on the side. Very cool logo though!

The title header effect where the second line goes in front of the first as in the title "Unless the devil..." is a bit distracting to myself. I don't like that it obscures the first line. Replace that with a more clear title effect. Just a simple bold font will do.

I feel the footer on the bottom is too large in size. It's probably going to look a look crisper if you cut the size a bit.

Good luck with your site!
    TheHabsFan.com - Montreal Canadiens News
    PlaySP.be - Unbiased reviews for the PSP
    Find the right ad network for you @ AdResource!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of the site it really quite nice. The only thing I don't like about your site is the red part at the bottom. It breaks up the design of the site.

I REALLY like your domain name. It goes very well with your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice design but you need to make sure all iframes on your website are opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, thank you for all your comments. I've removed the Amazon leaderboards, replaced them with Adsense and changed the background color of the bottom.

What do you think?

I'd also like to know what you think about the content, I mean the reviews.

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited your site and I read your Donnie Brasco review. According to my opinion
    the site looks nice. What I do not like much is the review itself. It was like a short description of the story. I would like to read your opinion about the direction of the film, the photography, the music and all these substances that make a movie unique. Try to focus on other things you like or dislike and not just the story and the actors. After that you will have a top quality review.

My best wishes

walleluia.com -- free lottery, smart advertising

http://www.walleluia.com
    Last edited by tomatoeggs; Sep 9, 2006 at 04:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much Tomatoeggs, good advice.

Brasco was one of the first reviews I wrote some weeks ago and you are right, maybe I didn't focus much on other subjects besides the plot.

Like most things, this is also learning by doing. I'll keep working on it.

Cheers!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a good site. Great look and feel. However, I would like to know the theme of the web site with in few seconds. Maybe you could put a discriptive title on top of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alpalino, thank you for your comment. I've just added a simple line on top with a simple tag line: Honest and easy-reading reviews of music, movies and books.

Any other comments?

Cheers!