SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valueclick: CPM or CPM/CPC Combo Is Better?

For those who have played around with this, from your experience, which one brings in more revenue? Should I aim for a certain CTR before I start letting CPC ads in, or should I just stick with CPM ads?

I have made a few experiments and from what I have observed, there weren't much difference for my revenue. Just thought maybe I'm missing something.

Would like to hear from the others about how things work out for you.
    UploadPro.org - Version 2 launched.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me I generally just disable all the CPC ads with them. My CTR on them are always so low it's not worth it. They don't have many high quality ads, and it's usually just the blinking WINNER WINNER WINNER garbage

when I was usuing both my CTR on the CPM ads was about 10 times higher then the CPC ads. All the CPC ads did was drive my eCPM way down, once I stopped using them it basically doubled

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious, what's your CTR like?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so far this month

728/468 is 0.82%
    Pop-unders is 3.6%
    160/120 is 1.12%
    inview is 2.1%
    (don't use interstitials)
    Medium rectangle is 1.62%
    Rectangle is 0.83%
    (don't use half page)

Last month was pretty much the same, as well as July. In June I used both and I had

728/468 is 0.16%
    Pop-unders is 3.1%
    160/120 is 0.32%
    inview is 2.4%
    Medium rectangle is 0.73%
    Rectangle is 0.30%

I had been testing out the different doing a month straight CPM here, doing a month of combo there. Did it for about a year and every single months with the CPC ads the CTR went down drastically.

But the odd part if, all of the networks I use with Yeildmanager (bannerconnect, Right Media, CPX) all pretty much have the exact same ads as ValueClick, but I get a MUCH higher CTR on them. My CTR across the board this month with them is 3.14%

and I've even been getting better rates with them as well. Still not 100% sure how YM works, the rates go all over the place, but I've had days where my eCPM is over $2.00 for just banners. But then the next day it'll be like $0.20. But so far over all this month my eCPM with bannerconnect is $0.68 where valueclick is $0.51

but again that is just me, everyone will have different results

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's very odd indeed. My CPX's CTR is pretty much the same with VC. Do you geo-target your ads?

Those are very nice eCPMs you're getting there by the way. Mine are really crappy. Sigh. Mind if I ask what kind of website are you getting the eCPM on?