SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need a site review

Ok, my site has been up about 2 months now. Ive been tweaking in my spare time.

I still have a list of things I dont like about it, but I want to hear yours.

Please post a rating 1 to 10, and then list all your b*tiches and nit picky stuff
    No sugar coating, be blunt.

http://www.hanggliding.org

thanks...

SitePoint Enthusiast milko_leporis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since your site i based on the phpBB, and they are professionals your site gets a 10

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. I like the shoutbox but not so sure about the occassional use of serif fonts for the login box 'username,'password', 'I forgot my password' etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would gice your website a 8/10

You nned to make sure that your fonts are a bit more consistent. I do not like the fort for Username / Password that also appears on other parts of the website. I think that it looks like you forgot to format the text.

I also think that a small paragraph about what the website is for at the top of the page may stop any confusion.

I think that some links to your main sections at the bottom of the page would not go amiss.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the font stuff. Not too many comments or complaints over all. I assume that is a good thing ;-) No news is good news?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for me it's just hard to digest. It seems the latest trend is to cram everything on the main page. As a user, seeing the register/sign in right at the beginning is a turn off. what if i wasn't an enthusiast, but just curious about the sport? I would quickly move on to the next site that was better laid out and invited me to explore without having to sign in and register.

Now if I were a hang gliding enthusiust, it wouldn't mater how your site looked or was laid out, because each time i visited I would go directly to the spot that would better serve me and ignore all the rest.

So what i am saying is I suffer from information overload on the main page. I also didn't like the links on the main page because there is no leading between them and I can't tell if some are more than one line and also no roll over so made me feel uncertain if it would be smart to click on them. thought it was like those fake links you see on ads in yahoo and such.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registration or signing in is not required to explore the site. Only to post. Maybe I could make this clearer on the registration box? "Feel free to explore the site, but registration is required to post" Something like that?

Info overload on the first page? Wow, seems every other forum site I go to is much worse. Look at this sites front page I thought mine was a lot simpler and cleaner than most forum based sites. Anyone else care to comment? Too much stuff???

Could you clarify about the links? Which ones look "fake"? There isnt a single fake link on the site anywhere, but perception matters.

What do you mean by "I also didn't like the links on the main page because there is no leading between them"??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...give us time!

The homepage is geared towards those already familiar with the subject. Maybe you can feature a little something for those new to the subject? And me thinks you could use a brief "intro" bit at the top of the homepage. I dunno, jumping right into Recent Topics seems so ... abrupt.

Styling for links throughout the site is not consistent. I don't think the white bg hover style looks neat and tidy.

"View All Forums" button looks like it could belong to the un-headered News items. Why? Maybe because it's outside of the border above. (And the button's font family seems out of place.)

I think the "News" section needs a header.

News story headers (black text) a little large.

I agree - serifed text looks odd with all the sans.

Is there a privacy policy?

Don't like the forums left column being dotted. And the headers have yet another link style.

I see the homepage makes use of a h3 tag. Why not make use of h2's and especially h1? You could float your url within an h1 in your header.

I checked out the .com and .net sites that share your name. It's obvious what THEY'RE up to. Keep up the good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give the site a 6-7

Overall the site appears just too busy, and broken up meaning the site does not flow very jumbled.

Some of the fonts are hard to read.

The header does not blend with the rest of the site, kinda disjointed.

I am on an XP system running IE 6.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any examples of a forum based site you dont consider "too busy"???
    Would you say sitepoint.com is more or less busy than mine?

Good feedback folks. I was actually thinking there wasnt enough on the front page! I was about to add more

Quote Originally Posted by lazer98
    I would give the site a 6-7

Overall the site appears just too busy, and broken up meaning the site does not flow very jumbled.

Some of the fonts are hard to read.

The header does not blend with the rest of the site, kinda disjointed.

I am on an XP system running IE 6.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, cleaned up some of the font stuff.
    The harder to read serif fonts were only showing up in firefox. Looked fine in IE. Weird. Fixed it.