SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kindly Review my site on boat dealers

I am still working on the site and need some suggestions for my site http://www.boat-dealers.us

I want to know How is the loading time of the site ? Is the font size/color OK ? is the ad placement OK ? is the link unit OK ? what ads are adsense units showing(relevant to boats or irrelevant) ?

Any more suggestions will be highly appreciated

Regards

SitePoint Enthusiast CorkyMcDoogle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The loading time of the site is fine.

However, this does not resemble a boat site in any way. The image in the header is totally irrelevant. The site is a lime shade of green. When I think of boats I think blue and white... not green.

All the adsense ads are all auto related.

The actually directory isn't that bad. I looked up dealers for Maryland and found 6 pages of results. Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to agree with the above comment. There's just nothing that indicates boats, boating, water. The green colour doesn't work at all, the picture in the top right corner look slike it's from a cheesy IT 'solutions' company, all I'm getting is Marketing and recruitment ads - which, if is was looking for boat stuff, would probably hold no interest at all.

You need to pick a boat/nautical theme - find a postcard or a picture somewhere, use similar colours and forms. Make sure you ads are more targeted to your audience and more there's more chance of soemone using them.

The design is also a little messy at the moment. I think you should address some of the following;
    -the search box needs to be moved away from the ads slightly and the rounded corners aren't round
    - the picture (top-right) needs to be changed
    - the footer need work, it looks tacked on, possibly extend it the full width of the content
    - the page structure starts ok, but after the header it just seems to get a bit random

Just a couple of little bits. With the directory and a few tweaks it'll be looking good.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for really nice suggestions guys, I have changed the background now and will work on the logo and other images.

I just want to ask you one more thing, should I keep the center adsense unit(468x60) or remove it ? should I blend it or keep it's background as white to make it stand out ?

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree i didnt see anything usefull at the first glance i just saw loads and loads of adsense ads, that is a turn off woudnt take me 20 seconds to deviate from such a site

loose some ads just pace a few on statergic locations, and get some feel of a boats website

I was not being rude i was being honset on how I saw the site, the domain can get a lot of targeted traffic if you want just paly around with it properly.

Regards

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! the ads!
    Change the color scheme, the ads and the image, and it's an alright site.
    However, on a professional website, the front page should tell you about what you do, not bombard you with tools on your site (e.g. state search. People dont want that unless they click a link to it.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You search tool is broken. It uses whatever you type in and searches for that as the state even if you select something else.

And what is a directory website going to have a monthly newsletter about?..new companies and addresses that were added to the directory? Doesn't sound too exciting.

Your search 'box' doesn't look too good. It is not rounding that well on the top left and right edges, and it shouldn't butt right against the right box.

And there is a middle and right box that is empty? Maybe some adds that aren't displaying? Not sure, but you need to remove them or make the ads work.

And maybe have a boat graphic instead of that guy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to your layout? I see "-->" and "&nbs p;" characters....It seems you have problems in your HTML code.
    In general your design is very simple and doesn't look professionally enough.