SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question of Netiquette

Okay please bear with me, I'm designing my first site (for myself) that cannot fit on a floppy. So I am still very much a newbie, so I need your collective wisdom about netiquette.

Okay consider this scenario:
    - A user goes to a page (displaying unique generated information (PHP/MySQL)) and a cookie is set.
    - Next time the person comes back to the website, if they have been here previously, they are automatically forwarded to the unique page.

Is this okay or appropriate. From then on, when they click "Home" (present on every page) they are automatically forwarded to this unique page.

Ideas and suggestions.

Also what is the apropriate maximum size of any one page? Currently pages are about 20k and graphics are about 25k is this okay?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fine...there's not really anything wrong with that.

About the page sizes...it depends. If all the user sees while the page is loading is a blank page, then you need to rework your design or shrink your pages. But if they can see your header and possibly part of the content then it'll probably be fine. Assuming that most of the images are shared among all of your pages (so they can be cached), the browser will only get each one once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are only 8 images which are used on each and every page, no more, no less, they are loaded on the first page (index.php) and cached. Are there any quick ways or tricks to get the text to appear first?