User Tag List

Thread: Image Theft

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Is there a good way to prevent people stealing images from a website?

Obviously copyright is the first choice, however, I had in mind some sort of script or protection module that actually prevents the images being saved onto their hard disk?

Options include:

Prevent right click of mouse: ok but then just "save page as"

View source: again, specific images can be found.

Password protect site: my site is free. This does nothing anyway, as people share everything.

Would appreciate any help

Thanks
    Sportsmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very hard to do this. The best way I think, is to watermark each image. This was discussed at http://www.webmaster-resources.com/f...ML/000528.html

As users surf your site, images will probably be cached onto their local hard disk, and if they look in the right folder, they will be able to get them from there anyway.

------------------
    Methven Online - www.methven.org.uk

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stealing of images used to be a BIG problem for me, however the theives quickly went away after I started to frown on stealing.

Just let them know that you're serious and be sure to scare them and come across strong.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no real way to fully protect any images from being copied, if the image appears on a monitor it can be captured.

To deter people from saving images easily, you can trying using a java applet or use flash.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if you made a Java (if it can do this) Applet which when PRNT SCRN (Windows and Be) or CMD SHIFT 3 (Mac) was pressed it would, on a Win/BeOS comp, set the clipboard to "Don't steal images!" hence deleting the clipboard. On a mac it would be harder; it automatically writes a "Picture 1" file to the HD.

DVDs use a flicker technology but it can still be shot.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not all search engines even look at meta tags and those that do are probably not going to have room in their database for custom tags. Though you can make tags up for your own internal workings.

The best way to prove that a image was yours in the first place is to watermark it. Then if you fill that your images were stolen you could have Digimarc do a search for them. This costs money but if you do find thieves then the costs can be transferred to them in a court of law.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere once that you could put a nonsense meta tag on your pages, something like <meta name="28375345"> and if the thieves weren't too smart, they would copy the entire source (and most likely the images) of your site without ever deleting that tag, so you could put those numbers into a search engine and find your stolen pages that way. Would that really work?