User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Child Div Larger Than Its Parent

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make a layout that's able to resize vertically based on it's content text (i.e. no specified hight). The HTML looks something like this:

<div id="outer">
    <div id="inner">
    <p>Some Content Text</p>
    </div>
    </div>

The problem is, I want the inner div to always be 30px taller (+15 at the top, +15 at the bottom) larger than the outer div, without specifying height values.

Is this possible? What I want could be acheived if negative padding existed, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the help.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Just one question, is there any way to do this without floating the parent div?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, thanks for the help. You're awesome. The first implementation works best in my case. I needed the outer div to be centered, so i just added a wrapper around it with a specified width and centered the wrapper.

Just one last question, do you know why the first technique needs to be floated in order to work? For the life of me I can't figure out why it would need to be floated, but it does.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, sorry to bring this old thread back, but I've got a slight problem with my implementation of this trick.

One image shows Safari on a mac, where things seem to be working just fine. In fact, it looks like it works okay on all standards-complient browsers. However, when you view the page with IE 6, the inner div is messed up. I've tried the * html #inner { height: %1; } trick, but haven't had any luck.

Any ideas on how to fix this bug? Thanks.

PS I know the transparency is broken in that photo also... I'm working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What code are you using?