User Tag List

Thread: Dhtml

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what exactly is dhtml and what's the difference between this and javascript?
    i know this is a dumb question, but i'm not a programming pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From "DHTML for the World Wide Web" by Jason Cranford Teague; page 3.

"I'll let you in on a little secret: There really isn't a DHTML. At least, not in the way that there is a HTML or a JavaScript. HTML and JavaScript are specific, easily defined technologies for the Web. Dynamic HTML, on the other hand, is a marketing term coined by both Netscape and Microsoft to describe a series of technologies introduced in the 4.0 versions of their Web Browsers, to enhance the "dynamic" capibilities of those browsers.

"So the real question is, what makes a Web page dynamic? There is, of course, substantial debate on this topic, but we can agree on a few things.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>"Dynamic documents allow the designer to control how the HTML displays the Web page's content.
    <LI>Dynamic documents react and change with the actions of the visitor.
    <LI>Dynamic documents can exactly position any element in the window, and change that position after the document has loaded.
    <LI>Dynamic documents can hide and show content as needed."
    </UL>
    To learn more on DHTML and CSS (I strongly suggest you do), read his book. Its part of the Visual Quick Start series, 3rd edition.

Westmich

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited April 28, 2000).]