User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review etc...

Hi

I have done a website that is a local directory for Ashford, Kent. Please feedback your views.

http://www.ashfordlocal.co.uk

Thanks

Dan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am after information about layout design and useability and would be greatful of any feeback. Please dont be kind!

SitePoint Enthusiast CorkyMcDoogle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I noticed is that it loaded kinda slowly...

You could just take a 1px wide sliver of the background gradient and repeat it. Right now you're using 18kb for something that could be less than 1kb. The header image is 57kb, you could probably optimize it and cut a few kb off of it.

It looks like some of the rollover images in the top menu don't work. Some of them work and some of them don't and when they do they are cloudy and dilluted. I'd suggest using regular text and css for rollover effects for that part instead of images.

Does the search work? If I search for something that is right there in the title or article it still shows no results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site - overall I'm pretty impressed.

I'm on broadband (2mb), no problems loading, took about 3secs to fully load, but stuff started appearing straight away. No problems with the search - if it can find me, it happy!

No problems with the rollovers either but I'd still go with the above and try CSS rollovers, you can still achieve some brilliant effects. I didn't check the size of the header but 57kb sounds really big for what's there - you must be able to get that down quite a bit. I would have like either the train or the 'ashford local' text to be clickable, that's just the first thing I head for to get back to the homepage.

From a design view, on some of the pages the content boxes are the same width as the header (homepage) and on some they aren't (directory, about ashford, contact). I think it would be better if they were consistant. The background to the content boxes could be the same as the background to the navigation, it's a bit less bright and would help pull things together. I'm not too keen of the deep blue for some of the buttons, they don't sit well on the site. While it has a nice clean feel to it I feel that it also comes across a little basic, this might jsut be me though.

Really good start though. I've only had a quick look but it seems to function fine.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broadband here and loads fast. Not what I am used to so far as menu but for that style tastefully done. I would use a contact form to cut down on spam instead of just an email there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your feedback everyone. Any more?