SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terapad.com. Could be useful for you, too.

Here's a review that's a bit different. http://www.terapad.com/ is a bit like csszengarden with a dynamic backend. I got 6 templates in there which you can have a look at, pure CSS.

The backend part includes everything you'd expect from a corporate or personal website, including Paypal-compatible shop, discussion forums, content management system and blogging tools.

Why could this be useful for you? Well I know there are a lot of talented graphic designers who offer web design services, but don't have the time or the resources to develop shopping carts and whatnots in PHP or Java for their clients. With Terapad.com, you can now go an offer a proven professional solution to your clients, yet just have to develop the style sheet. The cost is minimal, 18 bucks a month, which you can simply pass on your client (and charge them as much as you want, I don't mind at all).

I hope that makes sense (I'm trying to keep this short and sweet).

Anyway have a look and don't hesitate to criticize, I want this to be perfect

-----------
    Stephan Tual - Beyond blogging
    http://www.terapad.com/

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be great if you could fix the round corners issue (grey background) and the look of the "try it fo free" button (also grey background). These imperfections spoil the look of your site and make it look unfinished.

Update:
    I experienced these issues with "NoScript" plugin turned on. Once the scripts on your site were activated, everything was fine.
    Last edited by Varelse; Sep 5, 2006 at 09:15.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very, Very impressed. Obviously made by a proffesional. Clear, Concise, proffesional. Wow is all i can say. wow with a capital wow. Do you own this site?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me like you stole the icons from Apple and a few other big organizations. Isn't that copyright infrigement?
    The flash moves way too fast and I have no idea why I should want to explore the site. I would have to see that move much slower before I could go further

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisOBrien
    It looks to me like you stole the icons from Apple and a few other big organizations. Isn't that copyright infrigement?
    No of course not, the icons were purchased on a professional royaltee free site, while the rest of the Terapad.com graphics are custom-made and the templates were outsourced to the graphic design company X7M (http://x7m.us/).

I do take note of your point regarding the flash anim though, thank you for your feedback!

-----------
    <url removed - place it in your signature>
    Last edited by Varelse; Sep 5, 2006 at 15:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall
    Very, Very impressed. Obviously made by a proffesional. Clear, Concise, proffesional. Wow is all i can say. wow with a capital wow. Do you own this site?
    Thank you for the kind words arkinstall, yes I own the site, in fact I've been working on this project for about 2 years before releasing it.

Cheers,

-----------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varelse
    It would be great if you could fix the round corners issue (grey background) and the look of the "try it fo free" button (also grey background). These imperfections spoil the look of your site and make it look unfinished.

Update:
    I experienced these issues with "NoScript" plugin turned on. Once the scripts on your site were activated, everything was fine.
    Ah-ah... interesting! I didn't know that. Thank you very much indeed, one more line added to the bug list! ;D

-----------

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^Chris, these icons can be bought from IconBase -> iToolBar Icons
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this a lot. Seems very Mac'ish. I like the Flash, it tells you exactly what the site is and is for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in any case, i think the site would look much better if the icons were original and designed with the feel of the site and content. Those store bought icons look, well, store bought.

To me that is the same as using a template from Microsoft FrontPage and calling it your design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks good. Colors are pleasing, it navigates well, and very nice flash.

I wasn't going to comment about your site, because it is very well designed, until I read the comments.

This pertains to the purchase of ICONS for your site. People have certain strengths and weaknesses. Graphics, programming, useablility, some combination thereof as well as other talents but are not everyting to everybody. Then there is the reality of time and money. Professionally designed ICONS that look the way you want them at the right price is a good deal. Why spend as many hours designing as many ICONS, if it is cost effective to purchase them? I believe that in your case purchasing them was a good decision - and once again - nice site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like the layout but overall i find it very confusing. It says "Beyond Blogging" - Is it some kind of extremely advanced blogging software? Whilst checking out some of the features offered i got kinda confused. It does seem very extensive the list of features avilable. To me a blog tends to be something added to a website to relay news / events etc. or something personal, i'm not much of a blog reader really, are you trying to turn the blog into a very powerfull and extensive personal site? To me it looks alot like "Blog WITH shop, calender, css compatibilityt, web stats, etc." ?

-- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by chrisOBrien
    To me that is the same as using a template from Microsoft FrontPage and calling it your design.
    When you use a template it tends to be very limited. When purchasing icons or other graphics you can choose ones which fit with the feel/colour scheme/layout etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I'm gonna take a shot at reviewing the site.

First Impression:
    A little confusing, I didn't really understand what the site was about. The icons below were distracting (because of the very nifty rollover effect, I ended up playing with those before I realized that rolling over one changed the flash movie). After a little reading, my impression is that this is CMS software, not blogging software.

The copy in the "Too good to be true?" box is a bit pretentious, especially this line: "Terapad.com does everything you'd like your corporate site or personal blog to do, and does it a lot better than your current solution." Don't presume to know what the needs of your visitors are. Everybody has different needs and expectations, especially for a website. I already have a CMS that works perfectly for me, so I don't see how this is "better than my current solution". Don't tell me your product is better, show me how it's better, and let me make my own judgements.

The design of the site is very clean and very nicely organized. I have no complaints at all, good choice of layout and colors. For some reason, it reminds me a little bit of the Basecamp site (www.basecamphq.com).

There is one issue I have with the functionality of the site, and that's the rollover effect that changes the Flash banner. If I accidentally roll over one of those icons while reading the Flash panel, it changes to something else and frustrates me... Which icon did I just rollover? Which icon am I looking at now? These aren't apparent in the design, and it should be addressed.

If I'm looking for specific information, there are no textual links for me to look for to find what I need. If I want a comprehensive list of your CMS' features, where would I find that? There's no link for "Features". I understand that rolling over the icons, one at a time, will show me all of the features, but that won't work for me if I need to print a report for the boss to make an $18 a month decision.

If I have questions, there's no "Contact Us" or "Support" page, to help guide me to a real person.

So, here's my breakdown.

Pros:

Clean design, great layout, good color choices

Cons:

Non-intuitive Flash navigation - Roll-overs to change content can be confusing
    Under-developed Pages - There really isn't much information about your product outside of the Flash header, and no way to contact a real person that I could see.

Summary:

It's a great looking site, and it looks like a good product, but there's not enough information for me to make a decision. As a web developer, I don't have enough time in the day to try out every single CMS system that's out there, to tell if it's what I want. If I could see a list of features, and compare that to what I need, it would help me make a decision about whether or not to pay you $18 a month.

Suggestions:

Have you done any testing using people from your intended audience? Do that, and address their informational needs.

Don't tell people your product is better, show them. I realize this product is fairly new, but you should really have a Showcase or a demo site that shows me how it all goes together.

Do something about the Flash nav. I feel that it can work, but don't rely on it as your only source of information about your product. Make the current button stand out so I know where I'm at. Allow me to click the icon, rather than rolling over, before you change the content on me. I think that on rollover, you should show a label or title for what info you'll be displaying.

The icons aren't obvious to what they represent (A coffee cup is News and RSS? Seems like an RSS icon would be better served in this place... A star is CSS?), so labels would be helpful, or re-thinking which icons you're using.

Good job so far, just polish it up a little bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My turn to say 'wow' - I didn't expect such quality feedback. Thank you so much guys! I'm furiously writing down notes and will try to implement some changes.

I'll try to answer the questions that were asked in the meantime:

"Is it some kind of extremely advanced blogging software?" - Yes, basically you have all the features you can imagine, but the twist (which I was hoping would appeal to designers), is that the output is all xHTML, with CSS formatting. (click on the signup button to see the examples of templates we have).

"After a little reading, my impression is that this is CMS software, not blogging software." - You could put it this way, it does both. :-D

Thank you again for the solid feedback!

-----------
    <removed>
    Last edited by Varelse; Sep 7, 2006 at 15:21.

SitePoint Enthusiast LogoVertising's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice website

great website. impressed