SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DHTML - animation can't keep up with user

First of all, the following script has only been tested in FireFox (and on Firefox vs. 1.0.6 mac OS 10.2.8) -- I'm fairly sure the following script won't work in IE without some script changes/workarounds/etc.... I do not have access to IE right now or I would try to get it working there as well...

I've been trying to write a script that lets users put a list in order by dragging and dropping. The script works (to an extent), but if the user clicks and drags something too fast, everything gets fairly messed up. I think the problem is that I'm trying to animate the drag/drop process, and it's possible for a user to be faster than the script/computer can think....

For example, the following script works fine if you drag/drop slowly, but try shaking the mouse crazily, and everything gets messed up....

script is here

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by aamonkey; Sep 3, 2006 at 22:22.

I'm not a human
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ,

I haven't read you script but i think you can change the code such that the div's are replaced only after dropping the div (i.e) only when selecting and then the cliking is completed i think you can take a look on google.com's personalized page where the similar condition is handled nicely.

I'll reply u after seeing the code.
    Regards,
    Vijay
    Follow me on twitter @vijaycbe
    World Holiday Calander || My Cricket Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tested this, and actually it DOES work in IE (much to my surprise)...

However I still don't know what to do to resolve the problem. I am not good with javascript or DHTML...I can write enough junk to get something like this working to a point, but that's about where the knowledge ends....

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Here's the url again for the testing page/script.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This script seems to have the same problems regardless of the browser used.
    Does ANYONE have an idea about what causes this?

I'm assuming that no one has had any ideas because the script is too long, messy, uncommented, or complicated.....(or all of these )

please let me know which case it is....so that I can adjust the question accordingly