SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Your thoughts please! No need to be kind

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate any feedback on my current website for my Web and Graphic Design Business.

http://www.pac-web.co.uk

Also, any comments on the company logo would be appreciated as we are considering creating a new corporate identity.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pac-web; Sep 8, 2006 at 04:13.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not terrible.

Personally, I think if youíre selling design services than your site should reflect DESIGN. Nothing about this site says anything about good design. You have an "@" sign for the web...I guess thatís an o.k. start, but whatís with the Graphic Design icon?

The logo feels a little 80ís

I see that your site validates, but have you looked at your outline after you validate it?

* web design heading
    * graphic design heading
    * printing services heading

Those arenít going to do you any good in the eyes of the SE.

If youíre going to consider web design I would make this website full CSS. Since the site is very simple it would be really easy. I wouldnít hire someone to do something for me that wasnít up to snuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing imperssed me.

SitePoint Enthusiast CorkyMcDoogle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the CSS statement. If you plan on becoming a professional web developer I think you should learn to design in CSS (I'm not a professional so you don't have to listen to me).

Just to back up what the other two said... its not bad. The site wouldn't make me jump to hire you but it probably wouldn't make me decide NOT to hire you either.

SitePoint Member gregfindley.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel it looks a bit dated, also have you got any other examples to go in your portfolio other than the Pac-Web one? Visitors would expect that you had designed your own site,

Greg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with most of the above. It's not great and probaby wouldn't make me want to come to you. Sorry, but I'm being honest. It does look dated and unprofessional and if you want it to be more sucessful it's probably going to have to change, especially considering the type of work. If anyone's site should be good it should be the designers. It's hard to explain what is wrong, if you look at the links in 'dreras' sig (especially the first), they have an air of professionalism about them. Not sure what you can do about it exactly, but I'm sure some people here will be able to help on that score.

I would like to see an 'about us' section. It's usually the first button I look for and if I want to do business I'd like to know a little background. I also usually loof for a portfolio button...

Keep going though and good luck for the future.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinion

I would agree. The logos look a little like something that could be come up with using word's wordart program, I designed my own logos for www.dnapropertyltd.com and www.nor-t.com though I am by no means any sort of designer and would have to say I wouldn't be inspired to change them by looking at your designs, I would also suggest putting more options up of different examples. Similarly with the website design there seems to be only one layout shown, identical to own site.

These are purely my opinions and I'm only just starting out with websites myself but that would mean I am the type of person you are trying to attract.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I especially like how the menu works.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site doesn't bother me. The top right animation moves at a decent speed.

When I first see the logo, I see two A's instead of a PA.

Lose the icons and create thumbs of a website, printed piece, etc. and yes add some portfolio to the site.

I disagree about all being totally CSS. I think it is great to start moving in that direction, but most anybody hiring you to do design will not have a clue what CSS, tables, HTML, means, and could care less. If they said they needed a site to meet the latest standards because of accessability issues, would would be a plus if you were aware of those and able to meet their needs. Most just want a site that is updatable and will draw them biz. They could careless about the markup. As long as it serves their needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a dated (and unprofessional) design. I won't get into the coding as that has been stated repeatedly.

You nav is quite nice but Flash is not accessible and SEO friendly.

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd look at online design/photography websites for fonts and imagery,
    The fonts you have used are not the best, I think a font should sort of sit in the site without causing much attention, it should just work, and be easy to read.

Avoid large gradients at all cost! especially that blue one.
    I'd move the headings of the 3 colums lower and add more padding to the columns.
    Increase the framerate of the flash ad to make it look smoother.. but then I don't know why a leaf has been used for a 'business stationary package'.

I wouldn't use flash for the menu either.

Your mark-up is clean, but also get Firefox' Tidy Validator to make it even more 'tidy'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies. Honesty is always the best policy.

I agree that the site is looking dated and that the portfolio is very thin on the ground.

I am working on a few other websites at the moment which will be added to the portfolio in due course. I also plan a revamped site in the near future, time permitting.

Just a quick question. Is it a problem using images for headings in regards to search engines, or do they just list based on the alt text?

The reason I ask is that it is hard to control the look and feel of your heading using just css, you can produce better looking headings with photoshop and a few simple effects which as far as I know cannot be recreated in css. Please enlighten me!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a very good design.
    Please change the logo font.
    Remove that blue gradient below the flash.
    © Copyright Pac-Web 2005. ???? its 2006 now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pac-web

Just a quick question. Is it a problem using images for headings in regards to search engines, or do they just list based on the alt text?
    The best approach is using image replacement which basically you apply your graphic headline as a background to actually html text and move the text out of the users view using CSS. SEO friendly and accesible too!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as your dated look, get rid of that blue color, it is the color of unstyled hyperlinks and closely associated with the early days of web design. Kill the bevels on your images.

Anything that can be done in photoshop can be re-created in css. CSS takes some re-learning, head-scratching, crying, blood and sweat, but once you learn it, it can be very empowering. ANYTHING you can think of you can do as far as layout and graphics.

Kill the flash, flash is caca unless you want to create a cartoon animation or game. SE's hate flash, maybe they'll be able to index them in the future but not now.

Again, you can obtain the same level of interactivity on your navigation by using simple CSS. here is a good start:
    http://www.deansabatino.com/suckerfish/suckerfish.html

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    The best approach is using image replacement which basically you apply your graphic headline as a background to actually html text and move the text out of the users view using CSS. SEO friendly and accesible too!
    Hi, here is a good start on image replacement:
    http://www.mezzoblue.com/tests/revis...e-replacement/

good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the Blue gradient under the image and the shades of blue are disgusting. Stay of flash with the nav-bar you are not achieving anything. Sorry if too harsh
    HaloT
    Proxy KingKingProxy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Thanks for that, I will be using image replacement in all future projects.

I will be re-designing my corporate identity and website in a more web 2.0 style.

I will post the new site for your valued feedback when I have completed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can place the header image inside a layer and take that layer to the bottom of the XHTML code. As the layer has the positioning atributes, it will show up on the top. But in the code it will be at the bottom.
    Webmaster
    Anyone can start online business
    http://www.bizaway.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice website.

My only comment is that the image used in the flash background doesn't seem to be a good resolution or maybe the colors were reduced too much. It just seems a little pixely or rough especially for what looks like a digitally rendered image.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make the screenshots of the websites you have designed (in your portfolio) linked to the website.

Get more appropriate graphics for "Graphic Design" and "Print Services".

"We" is overused on the Web Hosting page. Use a different 1and1 affiliate banner that doesn't include "Build your website". You don't want them to use 1and1 to build their website, just host it.

Like everyone else said, get more sample work up.
    Last edited by starrsoft; Sep 8, 2006 at 16:13. Reason: Added to review
    Read my blog: The (not so) Daily Me