User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myspace - SCARED!

From - http://collect.myspace.com/misc/terms.html

advertising to, or solicitation of, any Member to buy or sell any products or services through the MySpace Services. You may not transmit any chain letters or junk email to other Members. It is also a violation of these rules to use any information obtained from the MySpace Services in order to contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell to any Member without their prior explicit consent. In order to protect our Members from such advertising or solicitation, MySpace.com reserves the right to restrict the number of emails which a Member may send to other Members in any 24-hour period to a number which MySpace.com deems appropriate in its sole discretion. If you breach this Agreement and send unsolicited bulk email, instant messages or other unsolicited communications of any kind through the MySpace Services, you acknowledge that you will have caused substantial harm to MySpace.com, but that the amount of such harm would be extremely difficult to ascertain. As a reasonable estimation of such harm, you agree to pay MySpace.com $50 for each such unsolicited email or other unsolicited communication you send through the MySpace Services;
    I'm just curious, if this is just for messages? Or bulletins? And can they charge you if you did it a while ago? Has anyone got fined?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen this before...Looks like they have gotten serious, plus it's a good way to make money off the people who don't read it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do understand they'd probably have to sue you for it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they going to start sueing random people for $500,000? I'm sure there is people that have sent atleast 100,000 messages already...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it was time to stop the myspace spam.

I don't know about this in particullar, but I know that recently myspace deleted several accounts with one million friends....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to stop it is to get off myspace.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about it too much if you follow this advice,

Make your myspace webpage look like a LEGIT page. Make it look like something you would build for yourself.

Also, when sending out bulletins, make it simple and don't make it sound spammy. Just use something like "Megan showed me this site at lunch today and I thought it was funny, etc" instead of "Check out this BLAH BLAH"

Hopefully you get the point..
    Save money on gas with Gas Credit Cards

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you guys consider this spam?

http://www.myspace.com/funnyteez

Also is adding friends everyday considered spam?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding friends is NOT spam. Your page itself isn't considered spam. Spam is sending hundreds of bulletins or messages to people. Even if they're your "friends". My primary account has almost 10k friends in just about 2 months. I've never received any warnings or anything from MySpace. I leave comments everday, accept friends, send friend requests, all with BadderAdder or AdderRobot. I also do quite a bit of marketing for others and no one I've worked with has ever received any warnings.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, I highly doubt they're going to pursue this. It's probably just to scare the occasional small-time spammer who doesn't know any better. Or so they can say they have measures in place to prevent spam when it comes up in the media.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. From what I've heard, if someone reports your message as spam (they only have to click one button to do so), or you continue to request friends with someone who doesn't want to be...they report you, then you get the warning/temporary suspension of some features. But if you're not out annoying folks, things should be fine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh whatever, i doubt they will try getting $50 from each bulletin. Court costs would be way more than that lol.. I did get one of my accounts banned for spamming (adding friends) last week and didnt get any notice to pay. Even if i did i wouldn't pay it.