SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you save as much bandwidth as possible?

Hi, i've just started a website and have 5gb of bandwidth. I want an average of 600+ people to my website a day.
    I have very few images in my Pure CSS Design The images only being small-sized header gradients and a logo.

Ive thought of ways to save bandwidth - will these actually work?

• AJAX
    • Few Design Images

Not very good but I've only just started learning how to be a proper Web Developer as i'm only 13. Ive just started to learn Ajax but have a good knowledge of CSS, (X)HTML (obviously) PHP/MySQL and Adobe Photoshop. Can you give me some tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never worked with AJAX myself, but how is that going to save your bandwidth? The most important thing in my opinion are the images, don't use to many of them. And make sure you use the "save for web" future in PS.

edit:
    Okay, you are right about AJAX saving bandwidth. It does make sense to me now, if you have less page refreshes = less bandwidth.

I wished i knew all the stuff you know when i was 13, when i was that age i was still playing super mario and duck hunt on my Nintendo
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok

Good idea to learn ajax as is what is "in" nowadays. Today many traditional web designers doesnt know about that and being so young you may find a good job developing websites with new technologies.

About your bandwidth dont worry you will always want a ot of traffic in your site so talk with your web server guys about that, it doesntmatter to have much traffic if you are achieving something great with your site due that. Now if you get 600 people everyday you are having a imporyant web
    "The Internet ? Is that thing still around ?"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I have had the site for a while now (a few months) and write a tutorial once and submitted it to Good-Tutorials, and the got my trafiic up a lot 2000 visitors in one day and it sort of maintained above a 1,000 then to about 600 so my Bandwidth ran out then I upgraded to my 5gb and here I am with this thread.

@ Tijman. I still play on my Nintendo DS. I'm currently waiting for eagerly for the Wii as well lol.
    Last edited by ChrisGilmore; Feb 25, 2007 at 14:30.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main things to do when trying to keep your bandwidth as low as possible are to write lean (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML, use as few images as possible (if you have backgrounds that are just a single color, and are obviously single colors, replicate them using CSS instead), and to optimize those images you do use for the Web.

As far as the (X)HTML and CSS go, do not code your HTML to work with your stylesheet, code your stylesheet to work with your XHTML. Many people claim to do this, but are often floored (as in "picking their jaw up off the floor" floored) when I show them how they can achieve the exact same appearance and effect using less code.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan, quite good information. Thanks for the tips everyone.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing to do would be not to upload your images onto your server to save bandwith use something like www.imageshack.us, and then link them as a thumbnail or even full picture to your website, also use low graphical concepts, if you wish i could host your website with 25 Gb bandwith pm me if you are interested i would do it very cheap for you to just help you out. I hope this information helps, also 600+ customers a day would mean they could only have a page load of 5000/30= 116/600 = 0.28mb a day each and that is very low, you will not succeed with this ammount of bandwith if you wish to have this much people visiting your webpage
    Dropshipping over 4 years - www.Glamorousgoods.weblodge.net

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, well I may get some bandwwidth but I think I'll have complete AJAX Navigation with Ajax CMS (already Developed) for my news and tutorials. So that will use very little bandwidth and I dont use many images in my tutorials anyway, unless they are for Adobe Photoshop.

The thing with hosting them on ImageShack is that if they go down your tutorial images go down therefore if you submit them to Tutorial Search Engines they dont accept. It's very bad as I hosted my site images on there before and it went down and I a few complaints whoch is a lot considering I only had like 50people on my site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why bother? All you'd be doing is wasting another site's resources. Besides, I think ImageShack has a policy against that type of thing anyway. Message boards I can see, but your main Web site? I'm sure they'd send you a bill if you did that .

As for offering to host, I think that is a violation of SP's rules. You may want to edit your post just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, why are you planning on using AJAX for your site navigation? A simple PHP include (for ease of site-wide changes), a dash of CSS (for presentation) and a list (for structure) should take care of your menu rather nicely (not to mention being accessible to those who don't have JavaScript enabled or supported--you have to think about those individuals, there' s just no way around it).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why am I using AJAX navigation?

To save bandiwdth allthough I never thought of people who have dont have Javascript enabled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case you decide to go the HTML/CSS route... (but mainly for others who may be thinking of doing the same)

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...54&postcount=2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And from the SEO FAQ.

Do NOT do the following:

* Use JavaScript for navigation
    It won't really help you with SEO either. Your a lot better of to just keep the navigation in css/html.
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

javascript

Javascript is great for enhancing user experience. Just don't depend on it. Having really slick AJAX effects and nav links is a great idea, but as said, for SEO and non-js users have regular links somewhere on the page. Either in noscript tags or a redundant nav.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll have ajax navigation but will have normal text links in no script tags as they will appear in exactly the same place and everyone will be happy.

Is this ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to support 600 daily visitors on 5GB bandwidth easily. I've done about 1500 on 5GB.

Are you planning on making money off of the site? If so, just let the traffic pay for the bandwidth, and relax. If not, relax anyway. Bandwidth ain't no thang.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the bandwith... why not considering another host? A cheaper one. (e.g https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosti...?se=%2B&ci=260 $4 for 'all included' 5GB space + 250gb bandwith)

Collecting $4 a month is not really hard. Even through a donation link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    You should be able to support 600 daily visitors on 5GB bandwidth easily. I've done about 1500 on 5GB.

Are you planning on making money off of the site? If so, just let the traffic pay for the bandwidth, and relax. If not, relax anyway. Bandwidth ain't no thang.
    Yeah it is, I use about 1.5 terrabytes of bandwidth per month and go over my 1 terrabyte quota, my site makes enough to pay my dedicated server and overage fee's.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you worked out the site navigation so your visitors will get to there destination within 3 clicks. Optimizing pages is the first step but making sure the user gets where they need to be with as few clicks as possible is good for band width and users experience.
    SalaryMap.com - Your salary on the map
    Mix Breed Dog Pictures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NextSite
    Yeah it is, I use about 1.5 terrabytes of bandwidth per month and go over my 1 terrabyte quota, my site makes enough to pay my dedicated server and overage fee's.
    Well it depends entirely on what kind of site you run. If you run a MySpace game site or a MySpace layout site, that's certainly going to suck bandwidth. If you make an article site, though, and it only gets 600 visitors a day, you'll be fine with 5GB bandwidth. As long as you don't make your articles 6MB images, that is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    Well it depends entirely on what kind of site you run. If you run a MySpace game site or a MySpace layout site, that's certainly going to suck bandwidth. If you make an article site, though, and it only gets 600 visitors a day, you'll be fine with 5GB bandwidth. As long as you don't make your articles 6MB images, that is.
    Yeah that is true. Flash games can be up to like 10MB, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AJAX saves bandwidth .. but the downside is it makes parts of your site (probably the sweetest content) unreachable for search engine bots.
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at what is using up your bandwidth, if its images host them else where which would cut down your bandwidth usage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put a knot in ya cable....
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Avoid unnecessary layout images. Try to use effects that can be achieved by repeating very small images.
    2. Avoid using unnecessary <div>/<span> tags for styling purposes.
    3. Use one style sheet for all your pages so the visitor's browser is going to cache it once and use it for the rest of the pages.
    4. Learn how to make cross-browser layouts with CSS without using so much hacks, which will increase your CSS file size.
    5. Crunch your scripts.
    6. Optimize your images to reduce their size.
    7. Make sure no one is able to hotlink your images.

Hope this helps.