SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't try this at home folks

I DJ part time for a local radio station. Today I raided the computers and "borrowed" 1.07gb worth of music. Got it home, put it on my comp, then selected all, right clicked and hit "Play in Winamp".

You can imagine that my computer wasn't too happy when it was asked to open up 255 winamps and try and play all of 'em at once! After having to "End Process" all of them in task manager I tried something a bit different.

Selected all, right clicked and selected "Enqueue in Winamp". Oops. Same thing happened again. I had to End Process again... then opened up ONE copy of Winamp, then enqueued them all... it is playing now and seems quite happy.

I was certainly a little confused about why it tried to open so many Winamps, but I guess that is Win2k for you.

All credit to Win2k though in as much as it let me close all without blue screening me. It was fun watching the CPU monitor go from 100% to 1-2% like that!!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's why you should just import them using the tracklisting.
    Add>File
    then just select them all.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made that mistake once...on win98...I ended up kicking my computer and throwing it out a 2 storey window before it would run again
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Defender1
    that's why you should just import them using the tracklisting.
    Add>File
    then just select them all.
    true... maybe but I have it set up so I literally hit windows key and J to bring up my music folder, then nav to the track I want and hit play -- it opens Winamp for me. Your way needs me to actually have Winamp open, which requires another windows and F8. Sorry but that is just *TOO* many key presses for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Win2k held up.

Also, you can uncheck 'Allow multiple instances' in Winamp Preferences.

--------------------

"...I ended up kicking my computer and throwing it out a 2 storey window before it would run again."

Should we start a "Have you attacked your computer?" thread? I've got some stories!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owh man, I hate it when that happens!

I once was cleaning up my Unreal Tournament maps, so I went on Ctrl+Selecting them all, but when you double click on a UT Map it will launch the game and play the map..so yup, you got it right. I select a file but quickly wanted to deselect it.. DOUBLE CLICK

Argh!!! Never ever try starting 60+ Unreal Tournament games at once
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He he, well I don't mind really because I have spent ALL day at my computer today and I haven't had to cue up any new music once.

I think it works out to be over 15 hours of music!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, that is similar to one of my favorite office pranks. you marquee select all the shortcuts on someones desktop, right click, and "open". works better on 98 as win2000 is often stable enough to handle it if they don't have to many shortcuts.
    אין סוף

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is odd -- I routinely select many MP3s and hit 'encue' or 'play'. It always adds it to the same playlist whether or not WinAmp is open. On Win2K as well with the latest version of WinAmp. I have all the default settings as well.

My 'horror story' is when I select many files and instead of pressing 'Shift'-'Enter' to get their collective file sizes I slip from 'Shift' and just hit 'Enter'. Ugh... I get about 2000 little 'What program do you want to open this file with?' boxes and about a bazilion program windows open for the files of a known type. Poo.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by russbellon
    actually, that is similar to one of my favorite office pranks. you marquee select all the shortcuts on someones desktop, right click, and "open". works better on 98 as win2000 is often stable enough to handle it if they don't have to many shortcuts.
    The best office prank I found is to find a relatively computer illerate personand when they are away Take a screen dump of their desktop, then Create a new folder on the desktop and place all of their shortcuts in it.

Then set the screen dump as the wallpaper and watch while they spent ages moaning that their desktops frozen, Brilliant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by glenplake

The best office prank I found is to find a relatively computer illerate personand when they are away Take a screen dump of their desktop, then Create a new folder on the desktop and place all of their shortcuts in it.

Then set the screen dump as the wallpaper and watch while they spent ages moaning that their desktops frozen, Brilliant!
    been there, done that. its very amusing. I also made a computer background that was just the "My Computer" icon, and the "Recycle bin" icon repeated up and down the screen and set it to the background of someone's computer.. watch them try to figure that one out.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are evil. I like it

*Donut runs to play tirick on brother's computer*