SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One CMS, multiple domains, "network" wide content and domain exclusive content

Ok basically here is my scenario. To explain my idea I'm going to use the genre of football / soccer. I'll even use the word soccer for our American allies ;-)

As an example lets say I need to develop 3 sites covering soccer, spanishsoccer.com, englishsoccer.com and americansoccer.com.

Each of theese sites has 3 pages, index, soccer rules and country teams.

Soccer rules will be the same content for all 3 sites so i would like all 3 sites to display the same info. If i edit the soccer rules page, it changes on all 3 domains.

Country teams would be specific to the domain, for example englishsoccer.com would have different content to americansoccer.com.

All sites would link to one phpbb forum, however each site would have a different link to go directly to the required sub forum. a page wrapper facility would be nice but its not essential.

What I am looking for:

1) A liteweight CMS that will support a one database multiple domain config like this. Features of the CMS aren't important, there's only going to be a few pages.

2) S.E.O. friendly, for example although the soccer rules page is the same content on all sites, It will need to generate a file for all 3 sites,

i.e.:

englishsoccer.com/soccerrules.htm
    americasoccer.com/soccerrules.htm
    spanishoccer.com/soccerrules.htm

instead of:

englishsoccer.com/soccerrules?page=uk
    englishsoccer.com/soccerrules?page=usa
    englishsoccer.com/soccerrules?page=es

3) The footer would need to display the same content for all 3 sites, it will be displaying links to all other sites in the network.

Can anybody recommend a CMS that will handle this, a .htm extension on the pages is prefered if such a solution exists if not I'll mod_rewrite.

I'm sure a lot of SEO people use software similar to this to create doorway pages etc. So, I'm really hoping an existing solution exists.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this! Look forward to your replies.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still hoping for a reply, I know its not directly related to PHP coding but I'm guessing being coders some of you would have came across a ready made CMS script to handle my requests.

Please help, thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A company I worked at three years Ago did a project simular to this but it was a customer solution not a ready made cms apart from there own framework. All the site were afilliate sites.

They made a system that would display links to each of there sites using one central database. They needed to have a page on each site that that requested links from the central database. On getting the results the links were then displayed.

You could do a simular type solution for your project. You do not necessary need to have the user see the link or the request for the country. You may use a URL rewritew that would show a different URL in the browser than that which is actaully being called back to the server.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am looking for something similar. i've come up with nothing. i'm tinking that maybe i will have to try and figure out how to create my own cms from scratch. i'm tech savy, but am clueless on where to start. i guess it's off to the book store i go.
    www.MyDoorSpam.com
    Closing The Doors On Solicitors.
    Order Your No Soliciting Sign Today!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back to this, I'm thinking about considering webgui cms, is this something that would suit my needs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLsuite does Multi Domain CMS

In case anyone is still searching - XLsuite can do multi domain CMS.

You can reference snippets in the layout, and then use snippets that resolve on different domains to display different style sheets, elements etc... for different domains.

Very cool - just type in the subdomain you want and you can register a trial account. whatever.xlsuite.com