SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good JavaScript Documentation

For PHP there's a great manual available online or downloadable HTML or CHM format. The online version allows for comments and additions from users.
    http://www.php.net/docs.php

The same thing goes on for MySQL: online manual with the option to make comments, downloadable CHM, PDF etc versions.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

what i love most about the CHM for example is that it's like a MySQL or PHP dictionary you look up a function or an attribute or something and it tells you how to use it, what it does, what you need to use it, the syntax, it shows some example... it gives everything!

Now the question is... is there something similar to that for JavaScript? If so... where? Also a similar thing for HTML and CSS would be great too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    XHTML Reference

Not aware of a Javascript one - would be nice, though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's the JavaScript reference at W3Schools that I've sometimes found useful, but I don't know of any others. I've never really looked - if I get stuck beyond that, I use Google or come here.

I've always felt that every language should have a php.net-style manual, where people can contribute comments. I'd have lost my sanity long ago if it weren't for that resource.

W3Schools also has a decent CSS reference, and the site Buddy Bradley linked to has a CSS reference planned. It's from the same people behind XStandard, and they seem very competent, so I expect it'll be pretty comprehensive when they publish it.
    The plus sign (+) is valid within an email address; please do not
    write or suggest code that precludes its use, as many use it as a
    "label" to filter incoming mail. </crusade>

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add my call too for somebody to create a reference such as the php.net one. Perhaps Sitepoint members could perform a collaborative effort?

In the meantime? Sun's documentation is pretty handy.

http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/contents.htm

Regards,
    Jordan

SitePoint Enthusiast Net-Margin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the W3Schools reference is much good. As PHP and mySQL both have them I don't see why poor Javascript should be left out.