SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow The Screenshot Forge

Hey, I released my latest site today. It's called the Screenshot Forge: http://screenshotforge.com. Metaphorically, The Screenshot Forge is to screenshots what Flickr is to photographs =).

So try it out. How does it "feel". What would you change?

P.S. Don't tell me to let you re-order screenshots...it's already on the todo list.
    Last edited by kasrak; Aug 31, 2006 at 06:00.

SitePoint Enthusiast pickledshark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kasrak

My initial impression of the site is that the layout is smart and colour scheme is good. I think that the logo is a little bit weak - your best logos are instantly recognizable (think Nike swoosh, McDonalds M), whereas this one is a bit cluttered by the text.

It is a little unclear what the site actually is for at first - you may want to get the introductory text to "grab" the users attention somehow. The layout of the screenshots is nicely done.

I signed up and submitted a screenshot (username pickledshark) and had no problems. It felt a little unnatural that their might be more than one screenshot per, well, screenshot? Some people a little less techy might be confused, I would recommend making the process as streamlined as possible. It is easy to get used to a user interface when you are working on it all the time - I always recommend getting a stranger to go through it while you are watching. Judge their reactions, don't answer any questions and learn from what they do.

Overall a very nice site, I am impressed. I read a bit of your blog and it always shocks me when people mention going back to school - god knows what I was doing at that age

You should be proud of what you achieved with this and programmermeetdesigner.com
    Fresh Store Builder
    Create Amazon Stores & earn $$$$ daily as an Amazon Associate

Only $97

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site layout. The colour scheme as well as the small logo. I think itís all perfect.
    Thumbs Up for U.
    The small search box at the bottom should be at more appropriate place. Itís hardly visible to users.
    Centering the Google ads will not be a bad idea
    Your Solution to Every Problem is Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice layout, albeit a bit on the simple side. Not to sure if there is really a need for such a site, but that is completely beside the point. Nice work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I think that the Logo looks fine as well as the colour scheme.

You could make the menu a bit more prominent on the screen and It would make it clearer to have the words username: password where you login.

As mentioned before the search field at the bottom is not to clear but this could be easily rectified with the words search nest to it.

Also in my personal opinion you should explain more about what the website is about and have some sort of title to seperate you adwords from your content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the colors are fine but my eye wasn't drawn anywhere. Once I chose (randomly) to focus on something, I found fairly clear and useful info there.

The "what Flickr is to photographs" description explains a bit but I would do more. If your audience is Flickr users then that means something about what your site is but not its value to them - you should also say why this is different/better/relevant. If your audience is non-Flickr users, then that doesn't explain the goals or benefits of your site. The second part of your descriptive section is de-emphasized by being after and smaller, but I think is more important.

eg
    The Screenshot Forge
    Share (and showoff!) your beautiful desktops and screenshots with the world. Get a free account now ó it's easy! The Screenshot Forge is to screenshots what Flickr is to photographs - adjective, adjective, and adjective. Key motivation/purpose with contrast / unique selling point (implicitly or explicitly).

And the "please d.. or shout" has more emphasis than the rest in that block, so maybe bold but smaller than the main text?

I would subtly differentiate and/or label the ad blocks, and reorder a bit - as it is the 'latest sets' label looks like a label for the ad which disconnects it from the actual latest sets content.

If you don't want text labels on your input boxes taking up space, could you have default text inside it be a label that disappears when someone clicks in the box? eg [username] [password] [search this site]

Maybe style the tags & browse categories links a slightly different color from other links? They're sort of a function of using the site rather than just the usual linking between pages. Nothing you've made a link shouldn't be one, yet there's so much link color text.

Make the 'Tags' label a link to info about what are tags & how to use them.

Can I choose to view latest sets, or oldest, or by date or by user? I did see there are options in the browse page. But knowing what my options are from any page would be valuable.

Min width on the text right side bar in individual screenshot view. It gets skinny and knocks lower content way down leaving a gap below the image, and resizing smaller just has that text hidden anyway, so hide it a bit sooner and improve the layout. (The big gap when I first loaded the page made me think something was missing, until I resized).

HTH

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your feedback!
    I will be working on my other site tomorrow, but I will definetly try to implement all your suggestions on Tues (as they are all great suggestions!). Thank you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, nice simple site. There is definately a niche for this. It has made me appreciate how boring mine is! I think you need to make more of the community aspect, include members names and submissions in a highlights panel perhaps.
    thetees @theteesvalley.me.uk
    www.theteesvalley.me.uk
    For all that's important in the Tees Valley
    News, Sport, Views

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking site, however noticed a typo in the title tag you spell it as 'sanctcuary'.

Perhaps my account name should be "picky", not "droopsnoot"...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for pointing out the typo, I fixed it =)

I just wish school wasn't starting tomorrow, so I could make the site really nice, really quickly. But I will try to get as much of it done before the homework starts piling on.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kasrak; Sep 4, 2006 at 11:53.

SitePoint Enthusiast LogoVertising's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screenshot software

Hello,

are there any free screenshot softwares, please?

thanks
    no politics

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every major operating system comes with the capability to take screenshots. To learn how to take screenshots in your operating system, check out this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screens...ng_screenshots

SitePoint Enthusiast LogoVertising's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to WikiPedia:
    In Microsoft Windows a screenshot of the entire monitor, complete with taskbar, can be copied to the system clipboard by pressing the Print screen key.
    Where is the Print Screen Key located?

Thanks
    no politics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogoVertising
    Hello,

are there any free screenshot softwares, please?

thanks
    You might check out
    BrowserShots.org

If you want to see how a website looks in a variety of browsers, this site provides that service by posting screenshots of a page in whatever browser you might want.

Regards,

Duncan

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your logo needs to be a little bigger with something more engaging. Also the "tags" and the top is a little annoying at the top and you could probably better use that space for something else that will enhance your page. If you must have the tags I would move them to the bottom of the page. Other than that I like the page its got a good design to it.
    Learn to Play Anything Song in Minutes Online Lessons