Thread: Cpm?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cpm?

What is cpm please, i am a newbie don't eat me

Hey also how do I find out how I many unigue and impressions ans whatever else there is?

And also could some one please explain what factors play into adverting?

Basicly i am totaly new to the aspect of advertising?

If there is already a thread covering this, sorri, just redirect me, if not please help me

thanks!
    Last edited by PsychDrone; Dec 2, 2001 at 22:00.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M is the roman numeral for 1000

CPM is Cost per thousand impressions

So $1 CPM means you get $1 per 1000 impressions.

An impression in a page view. What a human sees when they view your site.

A unique is usually a page view by a unique ip address in a 24 hour period. It could also be cookie controlled if people share ip addresses - but really its just a measure of how many unique people are visiting your site.

A hit is an HTTP request. Every image, page, embedded movie, etc causes an HTTP request to your server. When analyzing your server logs people often see a lot of hits and think they're getting a bunch of traffic. This is misleading as one page view (impression) can result in 10 hits.

To get your impressions/uniques you need a stat program.

These come in 3 flavors

1. Log Analyzers. These analyze the logs already on your server. Their are good and bad things about these. The good is that their easy, the bad is that they can be confusing and that they can only analyze whats in your logs.

2. Logging Programs. These programs you install on your server and they create their own logs. Because they are not limited to your server logs they have much more potential. The downside is that the logs can grow big and you'll have to maintain them in order to keep their size low (I have to delete mine every few days or it can get upwards of 50mb in size). Despite that this is the method I prefer. I recommend AXS (http://www.xav.com/script/axs/

3. Remote Logging Programs. These are services you sign up for. You include some javascript on your site that logs your site visitors. These are the easiest to set up and are usually free but they have the most problems. For one they're reliant on the client so if someone doesn't have JS enabled they won't always work (or work correctly). Also since they have to access a foreign server it can slow your site down. Finally they often require a button or graphic on your site, which isn't a design friendly feature and is generally amatuerish.

Advertising revolves around many factors, the main ones being your traffic and your demographics.

You need to have alot of traffic to command big rates. No big company is going to buy $50 of advertising. They may buy $50,000 worth and if you don't have the inventory to fill their need then they won't use you. To get around this most webmasters join ad networks. You may not be able to fill all an advertisers ads, but 5 sites could. Networks also take the administrative functions out of the webmasters hand (in exchange for a commission). Popular ones are burstmedia.com, fastclick.com, valueclick.com, advertising.com etc for bigger sites you'd try l90.com, 247media.com, or doubleclick.com

Demographics are also very important. If you run a teenage gaming portal its very easy to get high traffic, but that traffic is next to worthless because there is already enough inventory in that field, more than enough, and its not good inventory to begin with.

On the other hand if you run a very specific site targetted to middle aged adults, the richer the better, then even if you don't get as much traffic it will be worth more.

As such the best site you could make would probably be one that catered to high level corporate executives.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What he said.

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, what he said!
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was that an echo I just heard??

"A small group of thoughtful people could change the world.
    Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude that was great thanks a bunch!!!!