SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have a one-way cable modem?

I have a one-way cable modem courtesty of Comcast@Home; one-way is the only option available to me, and I'll take it over dialup.

My problem is that I keep getting disconnected from the Internet every three hours. It is constant and persistent, ever since I have had it (few weeks). I have tried calling tech support, and they said they changed some kind of modem properties/settings, but it made no difference.

I was told I would indeed be disconnected if I was *inactive* after three hours (now, why would they do that?), but that certainly isn't the case. I am being disconnected in the middle of my work, when I'm active.

I doubt Comcast tech support will be able to help me right now; and I don't think this is a good time to call tech support - I'm just glad to be online in spite of the @Home fiasco!

So do any of you use a one-way cable modem and if so, do you get disconnected? I can't decide if this is a problem/error on my end of a setting Comcast has. Are there any tweaks or software that can prevent this? Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all. What is a one-way cable modem? YOu mean like, download only no upload????

Hmmm. You say, it will cut you off right in the middle of your work. But, when you are just LOOKING at a web page, you are not sending any traffic over the wire. Each time a page is viewed, a connection is opened and the closed again.

At least once an hour, I would make sure you are sending something over the wire. Anything at all. Go to a web page thats not cached, FTP something, etc etc
    --There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a oneway cable connection is download *real* fast, but a connection upstream @ 33.3kbps (max) is also needed seperatly... *i think*.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't a one way cable modem a setup where you download with a cable modem, but upload with a dialup connection (regular modem)?

Cable modems where like this when they first came out. How annoying. I guess the cable company doesn't deem the neighbourhood worthwhile to upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique
    Isn't a one way cable modem a setup where you download with a cable modem, but upload with a dialup connection (regular modem)?

Cable modems where like this when they first came out. How annoying. I guess the cable company doesn't deem the neighbourhood worthwhile to upgrade.
    Dominique is correct. I wouldn't say they don't deem my neighborhood worthwhile to upgrade, they just haven't gotten around to it - I live in a slightly rural area, although if you drive a bit, you are near a ton of stuff. Anyway, Renegade, I definitely have had it happen while I'm loading pages and actually using the connection. Any help appreciated.