SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ubiquity of JavaScript

I'm preparing to overhaul my tired old site and I'd like to make more extensive use of JavaScript as I go. However what I'm after is a rough gague, if such a thing exists, of how many users disable it (mostly IE users turning off JScript, I'm guessing) and how many don't have browsers that support it.

Most of the "mission critical" features I presume would be server-scripted, but I'm not knowledgable in that area at all, so what general aspects of a website's content/features would you entrust to client-scripting?

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers,
    D.

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that you eill ever find any decent statistics for this, but I work in the following way. for most sites I create, Javascript provides added functionality only. If the user has Javascript disabled for any reason, the site will still function perfectly. If using Javascript navigation, or AJAX calls, it is always added in through the code itself so that there is no sign of broken scripts if the browser has scripting disabled.

The second option, is to create a site/application that relies on Javascript. This is something where you need to either have a limited, known target userbase, such as in an enclosed intranet, or you are willing to lose visitors because the site relies too heavily on Javascript. Obviously something like Google Maps would not function at all without Javascript enabled.

Look at it this way, will the Javascript be required for the site to operate, as in, is it a web "application" that uses Javascript down to its core functionality, or will it be a website that can benefit from Javascript coding? If so, have a good look at unobtrusive techniques to allow for the best experience for non-javascript users.

Regards,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least for the meantime there's probably nothing much that a <noscript> element couldn't fix. About the only major loss of functionality I can forsee is the lack of an email address in plain sight for spam harvesters.

Cheers,
    D.
    Last edited by disgracian; Aug 30, 2006 at 02:00. Reason: used wrong tag

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use statcounter.com to track accesses to my site. One thing it tracks is how many users have scripting turned off. Last time I looked 0.8% of users had it turned off.

Also, I notice that once they see my 'scripting required' message, some actually go and turn it on. Not sure of those numbers but my gut feel is about a quarter of the script-off users turn it once told to.

-J

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course those with web readers probably don't want javascript turned on because their reader can't tell them what the Javascript is doing accurately enough.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web readers don't have a problem with the document.write() method, do they? That's mainly what I'd be using it for.

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    document.write is deprecated and should not be used (and can't be used with XHTML or after the page has loaded).

All web page updates should be done either via innerHTML or (better) via the DOM.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Document.write isn't exactly deprecated, it just doesn't work with XHTML because of the way XML parsers work. You'll still find plenty of examples of document.write on the W3C's tutorial site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    felgall - document.write works fine as long as the page is served as text/html (which nearly all of them are and will continue to be until IE supports XHTML.

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by disgracian
    Web readers don't have a problem with the document.write() method, do they?
    I seem to remember reading an article that dissected the performance of web readers in this regard and, as I recall, some do, some don't. The evidence presented suggested that readers are in a primative state of development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a big DHTML advocate, as in sections of repetative pre-CSS code it can cause huge bandwidth savings, AND a lot of typing.

Now though, I'm increasingly of the opinion that javascript should be treated a bit like CSS. Just as many people say html is for data, css is for formatting - I'm starting to think that writing out actual CONTENT or navigation with Javascript is just a bad idea.

MOST of the time you can implement similar functions server side if you are doing things like alternating styles - and accessing the DOM you can manipulate the normal tags via their CSS properties for content handling - meaning more and more you just don't need to use document.write in the first place.

Though there are still some cases where handling or changing the content is the only way to get it to work - JW's example of google maps is a great, well... example.

Like ANY other technology - you just have to not overuse it just because it's available or you just learned it. I made that mistake with javascript on a site a few years ago and JUST this past march 'put things right'. As with CSS, unless not using it breaks the entire content, you should make every effort to make your html present something coherent and navigatable to the user if javascript isn't present.

Which is where a lot of javascript on websites, most notably on menus, /FAILS/ hard.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes document.write still works under certain circumstances but where the code gets written from a document.write statement can differ between browsers resulting in the text appearing in different places. If you want consistency then you should avoid using it.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall
    All web page updates should be done either via innerHTML or (better) via the DOM.
    Do you know of any good resources for learning how to do the latter?

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Document.write's only utility, in my estimation, is to build a page from scratch in a new window without having to go to the server. I've used it to produce a local popup calendar window. I used document.write to create a fully formed page, with a DOCTYPE! declaration, CSS stylesheet, the works, all without a trip down Internet lane.

For adding a text node, it is somewhat debatable whether the DOM methods provide any greater utility than innerHTML. Certainly, innerHTML is easier and more popular, which is why virtually all browsers support it. In theory innerHTML is less efficient because of its calls to the browser's HTML rendering engine, but for adding a little text to an existing element, the difference is negligible.

The DOM methods of createElement, appendNode, etc. come into their own when dealing with page elements. This page at the W3Schools lists the methods (as well as others) that permit element creation: http://www.w3schools.com/htmldom/dom_obj_document.asp

Here's a quick example of using the two approaches to produce a similar effect:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>innerHTML/Node Demo I</title>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <style type="text/css">
    html,body{height:100%;}
    #divOne{height:50%;background:#dde;}
    #divTwo{height:50%;background:#edd;}
    #divOne td{border:3px solid #acb;}
    #divTwo td{border:3px solid #b8a;}
    </style>
    <script type="text/javascript">

// A simple example of using the innerHTML non-standard (but well-supported) DOM method
    // vs. the W3C node/child DOM - compares/contrasts innerHTML's facility at HTML-input 
    // rendering and node model's easy insertion methods.
    // Note that the node methods are more efficient internally as they bypass the 
    // HTML parser to more directly manipulate the rendering engine. 

function demoInnerHTML(){
      var new_txt=prompt('Please enter new text:','<b>new text<\/b>');
      document.getElementById("tdOne").innerHTML+="<br \/>"+new_txt;
    }
    function nodeWork(){
      var new_txt=prompt('Please enter new text:','new text');
      var insSpan=document.createElement("span");
      var insTd=document.getElementById("tdTwo");
      insSpan.appendChild(document.createTextNode(new_txt));
      insSpan.appendChild(document.createElement("br"));
      insSpan.style.fontWeight="bold";
      insTd.insertBefore(insSpan,insTd.lastChild);
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="divOne">
    <p>
    <a href="#" onclick="demoInnerHTML();return false;">Demo innerHTML</a>
    </p>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td id="tdOne">some text</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    <div id="divTwo">
    <p>
    <a href="#" onclick="nodeWork();return false;">Insert a node</a>
    </p>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td id="tdTwo"><span>some text </span><br /><span>and other text</span></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by disgracian
    document.write works fine as long as the page is served as text/html (which nearly all of them are and will continue to be until IE supports XHTML.
    Serving XHTML as text/html may be acceptable (albeit pointless), but only if it still works when served as an XML application!

An HTML-only practice like document.write(), which requires the XHTML document to be served as text/html, is a very, very bad thing. Especially if your purpose for using XHTML is 'future-proofing'.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    Serving XHTML as text/html may be acceptable (albeit pointless)
    Well, last time I tried the HTML4.01 validator at W3.org, it wouldn't even detect missing closing tags, so in terms of development I'd say it's far from pointless.
    Especially if your purpose for using XHTML is 'future-proofing'.
    I figure I've got plenty of time before Microsoft releases IE8.

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML 5 is now under development, yes, really.

Oh, and if you use HTML 4.01 Strict, it will find many errors that slide in Transitional.
    Last edited by JVLB; Sep 5, 2006 at 08:10.

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVLB
    HTML 5 is now under development, yes, really.
    This is the second time I've seen someone quote this in the past week, can you provide links to any information regarding this please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the Strict DocType for HTML4.01 is way too lax in validating.

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Windebank
    This is the second time I've seen someone quote this in the past week, can you provide links to any information regarding this please?
    http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/ - Do a search for "HTML5" and you'll see a few mentions, but nothing of any great substance.

Cheers,
    D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The effort on HTML 5 is just getting underway. I've seen a few news articles in trade publications like InfoWorld or eWeek mentioning it and stating it was with the blessing of the W3C. Definitely just the formative stages, but it reflects the frustration with XHTML.