SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable "remember password" feature in Firefox

So I'm making this registration form and when the user hits "Submit", Firefox offers this nice little popup: Remember Password?
    However: I don't want this nice little popup!!

In order to get rid of this Firefox "service", I created an extra "password" field, called "dummypass". After the user types a password, an onBlur event fills the "dummypass" field, with the same value of the original password field, using the DOM.

This DOES get rid of the "Remember password" popup, however now Firefox comes up with another "service" question: Confirm Password Change... and I can't seem to get rid of this one.

Anybody have suggestions on how I can manipulate Firefox so that it doesn't bother my new registrants with the option to remember or change their password?

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do it. It's a bad idea that will just drive users away from your site.

Some sites attempt to do that, often banking sites. They just make me angry.

It's my browser and if I want it to remember passwords I'll get it to do that, and if you insist I'm not allowed to do that, well I'll go somewhere else more reasonable.

It's no accident "allow password remembering" is one of the more poplular greasemonkey applications.
    Ed Seedhouse

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trying to alter the behavior of a user's browser, besides usually being impossible, is also bad form. You control the web page, not the web browser. Let users decide if they want that dialog box to appear or not. Don't try to make that choice for them.

Also, you can't stop it.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a browser feature. There's no way you can use a script to change the browser's inherent properties like that. Allowing such a thing would be a major security risk on the user's end.