do hidden links help my PR?

if i had a hidden link like

HTML Code:
    <a style="display:none" hred="mysite.com">blah</a>
    would it help my PR?

thanks
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All links help PR (assuming they are not trying to block them from Google with nofollow and similar techniques). Hidden links help you get banned, too.

(BTW, if the hidden links are part of a DHTML menu system then you're ok.)

Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Hidden links help you get banned, too.
    You mean if i tried to put hidden links in sitepoint right? (which i wouldnt do)

theres sites that i am administrator of and the owner doesn want me to display links to my site ie site created by...) And other sites i have i want to link back and forth and everypage but not make it visable just do it to help my PR.....so i was wondering if that would actually work......doing this wouldnt get me banned from SP would it??
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what Stymiee is trying to say that 1 link shouldn't be a problem, but don't fill your page with hidden links. There are situations where hiddens links are used in a normal way, but it's not that hard to turn them it into spam. Which will can get you into trouble.

It also in the Google - Webmaster Guidelines

Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hidden links won't get you banned from SitePoint. But it will cause problems for your site and probably the site with the link on it with Google. That kind of hidden link is clearly an attempt to manipulate Google which is a very big no-no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hidden links won't get you banned from SitePoint. But it will cause problems for your site and probably the site with the link on it with Google. That kind of hidden link is clearly an attempt to manipulate Google which is a very big no-no.
    so i should not do that then?
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps
    so i should not do that then?
    Correct. What little gain you would get ( a very small amount of PR, a worthless link otherwise) would not offset the risk (your site and the other being banned by Google).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thanks alot guys i didnt know google banned people for that.....so i assume i should take off my hidden keywords also that are like <p style="display:none">some stuff about the website</p> ??

but what if its content thats in the flash site, and google can't see the content or the links in your flash site so you hide them in the HTML so google can see whats in your flash file, (because having it shown underneath your flash would look rediculous) can you get banned from google for that???

Thanks
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps
    wow thanks alot guys i didnt know google banned people for that.....so i assume i should take off my hidden keywords also that are like <p style="display:none">some stuff about the website</p> ??

but what if its content thats in the flash site, and google can't see the content or the links in your flash site so you hide them in the HTML so google can see whats in your flash file, (because having it shown underneath your flash would look rediculous) can you get banned from google for that???

Thanks
    Yes remove that before you get caught. That's SEO 101.

If you've got a flash site, well, you're screwed anyway because Flash just sucks with SEO. But you should be putting alternate content within your <object> tag as that is the HTML specification's way of allowing alternate content for user agents that don't support objects like Flash.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it makes any difference, after all spiders view pages quite differnently to what humans do.

For example, I've been using the

display: none;
    For my H1,H2 and so on for ages and my sites have never been penalised.

Whilst on this topic, I hold serious doubt to the amount of information a google bot is going to strip from a site.

Granted it maybe able to distinguish rudimentary css on a page, however, is it going to also crawl an external css? For that matter any script that is being feed externally from that page and understand what each tag represent, I honestly doubt it.

Last time I checked 260,000 combined .com, .net, .org were being registered every day. If each of these domains comprised of 5 pages each, that's an extra 1,300,000 web pages per day. In week 9,100,000 web pages.

Add to the total pages google has to index and crawl already, in my mind you'd need far greater resources than google has to achieve what some people claim.

Personally I go with what works & has worked for me, some notions I take with a grain of salt. I try not to get too caught up in the hype otherwise I'd be driven crazy with all these theories and get nothing done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes remove that before you get caught. That's SEO 101.

If you've got a flash site, well, you're screwed anyway because Flash just sucks with SEO. But you should be putting alternate content within your <object> tag as that is the HTML specification's way of allowing alternate content for user agents that don't support objects like Flash.

thanks again
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guyinoz
    I don't think it makes any difference, after all spiders view pages quite differnently to what humans do.

For example, I've been using the

For my H1,H2 and so on for ages and my sites have never been penalised.

Whilst on this topic, I hold serious doubt to the amount of information a google bot is going to strip from a site.

Granted it maybe able to distinguish rudimentary css on a page, however, is it going to also crawl an external css? For that matter any script that is being feed externally from that page and understand what each tag represent, I honestly doubt it.

Last time I checked 260,000 combined .com, .net, .org were being registered every day. If each of these domains comprised of 5 pages each, that's an extra 1,300,000 web pages per day. In week 9,100,000 web pages.

Add to the total pages google has to index and crawl already, in my mind you'd need far greater resources than google has to achieve what some people claim.

Personally I go with what works & has worked for me, some notions I take with a grain of salt. I try not to get too caught up in the hype otherwise I'd be driven crazy with all these theories and get nothing done.
    It is not the technique that is the issue, but the purpose of the hidden text. His two examples were designed to manipulate the search engine rankings and are a classic example of what not to do. How you have done your headers is subject to debate without actually seeing them. You just may not have been caught yet.