SitePoint Enthusiast Joshimitsu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up entertainment site

I opened this site a few hours ago:

www.back-flip.com

I need suggestions on whats good/whats not. Its a fun media/entertainment site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks good. Easy to use.

SitePoint Enthusiast pickledshark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initial impressions are good, although trying to focus on content on the homepage is difficult - there is nothing to differentiate what is in the different yellow boxes. Maybe use a colour scheme for each content area (e.g. forum, news, media) and follow that through onto the respective pages.

I think that the homepage would benefit from some imagery - how about thumbnails of the pictures, videos, image for news item etc.

Your logo images looks a little ragged (e.g. around the n on everything) - I am not good with graphics but I would recommend touching up that image or redoing.

The bottom of the site is quite abrupt (on Firefox 1.5.0.6) - e.g. where the Advertise and Contact Us links are. It would benefit from padding out underneath these links.

The rollover for the "tabbed" (?) links at the top looks a little sharp with the colour contrast - how about a gradient?

Browsing through the site and it looks quite good, although it has that "unifinished" feel to certain elements. I would have expected to see thumbnails or some other imagery on the pictures, animations etc. sections.

Overall a great start, but please keep working on the the little things!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks, i will definately look into getting thumbnails done!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the colour combination ,but better you can put a soft color sheme.It is better to modify the header also.remove the black from there and put any other colors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatley I did not like the design. I found the colouring a little too bright for my taste and a little hard on the eyes. I thought that for the initial home page there was way too much data for the way it was layed out. The box headers I thought were also I little too wide and could be smaller. I love the fact that you built it for 1024 and not 800 because I am a believer that we have to force the issue for resolution increase. Overall I would just try your hardest to make it a little cleaner look and more organized.
    Chris Blackwell - my blog and ramblings
    Comicville - Daily News and Comic Reviews

"web development is what I love...so that's what I do"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks for the tips. I will work on improving now. Where do you think would be the best place to position adsense?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have been forwarned. Way too busy to look at early in the morning. i'll come back and look another time and see if it still causes my immediate reaction to close window as quick as possible.

SitePoint Enthusiast givemeplain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the overall design. My only complaint would be that all the headers and the nav bar are the same color. In my eyes, this makes the site look a little bland, repetitive, even confusing. Other than that, keep up the good work!
    wantavatar - web comic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, i am listening to all of these and will act on them. I am not much of a designer myself though. This is one of my first ever layouts...