SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"horizontal page jumps"

I am looking for a "horizontal" page jump. In other words I have a column of links along the left edge, and when you click on any of the links, I want the page to jump along a horizontal line near a particular on the page.

The page is a really long horizontal page, but I am okay with that because we want to create the effect of a horizontal timeline. You can view the sample page here. For some reason the page jumps work fine in FF but craps out in IE6+ . I just get a slight shift to the right, but nowhere near the year selected.

As a majority of my users will be on IE6+, I need to get that funcationality working.

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

horizontal jump

It doesn't exactly "work" in Firefox either. It jumps, but not to the correct place. AFAIK using anchor links works for vertical location, but not horizontal. You could write some javascript using "offset" to jump horzontally. It would be a bit involved since you'ld have to deal with viewport dimensions and text size, but I think it should at least be possible theoretically.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the follow up and clarification. I was not aware it was going to be this complicated!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

horizontal scroll

As long as using javascript is not a problem, it may not be as complex as I first imagined. As long as you test for conditions before each jump to account for changes in text size (if a user enlarges it to read a section after intial page load)
    you could get the screen width, current X position, and target X position. Then scrollX to the target.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsssau
    I am looking for a "horizontal" page jump. In other words I have a column of links along the left edge, and when you click on any of the links, I want the page to jump along a horizontal line near a particular on the page.

The page is a really long horizontal page, but I am okay with that because we want to create the effect of a horizontal timeline. You can view the sample page here. For some reason the page jumps work fine in FF but craps out in IE6+ . I just get a slight shift to the right, but nowhere near the year selected.

As a majority of my users will be on IE6+, I need to get that funcationality working.

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
    I broke this down into a simple example so I could eliminate any potential conflicts.

I did get it working in IE, though the "fix" - using some absolute positioning is less than ideal.