SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to build a web site that I hope will grow into a business. I've just purchased a Pentium 3 600. I've contacted the local phone company (Pacific Bell) and am ready to order DSL from them.

Questions:

1. 3 MB of space comes with the DSL package ($40.00/month) with the option to add more space at $1.00 per MB per month. How many MB minimum do I need if I want to build a decent web site?

2. I am posting information on my site for free. I have an idea of how to incorporate this information into a service that I might be able to offer to consumers at a cost. I don't expect to generate any revenue with my site for several months or maybe not even in the first year. My question: Should I go with the DSL service, keeping in mind that I'll have to sign a one-year contract for the service and I (apparently) will not be able to do any revenue-generating business on my site, because I'm signing up for what Pac Bell considers a "personal home page" type of package? I was told by a Pac Bell sales rep that Pac Bell monitors the sites and if you're getting "too many" hits and they determine that you're a business, they'll shut you down.

3. Can anyone recommend a good "how to" book on building a web site? I read some of the site building stuff at SitePoint.com but it seems to be more of an outline rather than a detailed step-by-step guide. I'm thinking of buying a book called "The Non-Designers Web Book: An easy guide to creating, designing and posting your own web site" by Williams & Tollet. Then there's the "Dummies" book. Advice, anyone?

Thank you.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>3 MB of space comes with the DSL package ($40.00/month) with the option to add more space at $1.00 per MB per month. How many MB minimum do I need if I want to build a decent web site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recommend against anyone hosting a site with an ISP. Their servers and bandwidth tend to get bogged down with EMAIL, IRC, Usenet News Groups and Dial-up Users. You can probably find a better bargain elsewhere. To get started look at www.hypermart.com or one of the many other free servers out there geared towards business. If your site has the potential for business start it that why. It will be a pain to convert later. A good website with a lot of content can be made in a few megs of space. To start with you will probably need less than 5 megabytes unless your going to be using a lot of large graphics.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I am posting information on my site for free. I have an idea of how to incorporate this information into a service that I might be able to offer to consumers at a cost. I don't expect to generate any revenue with my site for several months or maybe not even in the first year. My question: Should I go with the DSL service, keeping in mind that I'll have to sign a one-year contract for the service and I (apparently) will not be able to do any revenue-generating business on my site, because I'm signing up for what Pac Bell considers a "personal home page" type of package? I was told by a Pac Bell sales rep that Pac Bell monitors the sites and if you're getting "too many" hits and they determine that you're a business, they'll shut you down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again keep your potential business separate from your general browsing accounts. Accounts on providers start at free and go up from there. If you get a basic package at a company like pair.com, vservers.com, jumpline.com, digitalnation.com or one of the thousands of other hosting services you will be able to grow your site easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Can anyone recommend a good "how to" book on building a web site? I read some of the site building stuff at SitePoint.com but it seems to be more of an outline rather than a detailed step-by-step guide. I'm thinking of buying a book called "The Non-Designers Web Book: An easy guide to creating, designing and posting your own web site" by Williams & Tollet. Then there's the "Dummies" book. Advice, anyone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the reviews section of Webmasterbase.com there are listed several good books. Some good publishers to look at are O'Reilly, Wrox and Sams. All three have current books on designing websites. The "Dummies" Series of books are very well written for a beginner. I often recommend these books as a starting point for those users with no experience in a particular application or technology. If your serious you will fast outgrow these basic books though. Try to look for a book that covers HTML, CSS, Javascript and CGI as these are the technologies your bound to encounter at first. You can go to www.htmlhelp.com and download well written references on HTML and CSS. They are available as Windows Help Files and in HTML. You can also go to www.devguru.com which has both online and downloadable references covering a wide range of technologies. You best resource will be forums like this and the Sitepoint Network. They are usually more up to date then books or publications. Also if you haven't done so already sign up for the Webmaster Tribune at the Sitepoint.com site to get one of the best Designer Newsletters available.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Wluke.

I would also add that your probably better off without the DSL at first. Especially if they want a one year minimum contract.

I highly recommend www.Vservers.com for your web hosting needs. I started with them, left to save a few bucks, switched between several other hosting companies, and ended-up coming back to Vservers.

IMHO,
    Westmich

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wluke: Wow! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I am extremely grateful for the time you took to respond. THANK YOU. westmich: Thank you for your input as well.

I guess I won't go with the DSL. I've got work to do, folks. Thanks again for everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSL is great for your own personal browsing, uploading and downloading. If you spend any time at all on the Internet it is well worth getting. For hosting websites, it is not ideal unless you know exactly what your doing and are able to work with the quirks of the technology.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 21, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to get off topic but, well I will take it to a different place. I wanted an opinion on cable vs DSL.

Wayne again speaketh the truth, very well said.

Good luck in your endeavor, and welcome to the club (webmasters), hay can we get a hat with &lt;tags&gt;

Michael

------------------
    World National Fantasy Basketball Association
    www.wnfba.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W. Luke: Okay, so you're saying I might want to consider DSL as a delivery system for my basic Internet needs (i.e., non-business related needs), but I shouldn't host a site in conjunction with (or through) an ISP (which I take to mean "Internet Service Provider," which in this case would be Pac Bell)?

Michael: Thanks for the welcome. I feel like I have a TREMENDOUS amount of work ahead of me, but I'm eager and excited about it. Another thought in the back of my head: go to night school to learn web design.

[This message has been edited by Wonder (edited April 21, 2000).]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what I am saying. Your ISP's servers will tend to get overloaded at peak periods causing problems when people access your site, especially if the site gets very popular.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.