User Tag List

Thread: server logs

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Wluke posted in my last message and mentioned looking at server logs to determine if individuals are leaving after the initial viewing of the first page. Please forgive me if this seems dreadfully obvious to you all but what are they and how to I get to them. I use the counter.com on some of my sites but what it sounds like is that there are much more sophisticated applications out there that I am unaware of.

Most of my clients are on big university system servers. Thanks for any help on this matter.

Laura

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every server writes a log file of the people visiting the site. These files track can IP addresses, what website they were referred from (i.e. Yahoo or Bookmarks). You can run these files through offline and online programs that will sort out the information and make it easier to read. Just do an Internet search on Web Tracking to find out more. There are also free and fee services that offer the same type of capabilities. One of the largest and will known of these services is Hitbox.com. You can find out more about these services at http://www.counterguide.com/.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a million Wayne. You are always so helpful and fast to reply. I am on my way to check it out.

Laura