Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didicated Hosting

Anyone have any good info on good deals for deicated hosting

Why is dedicated more popular than Co - location, I mean, I have most parts needed for a server just sitting here with nothing to do

Dont alot of you rather builf your own machunes especially with the prices today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Didicated Hosting

Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose

Why is dedicated more popular than Co - location, I mean, I have most parts needed for a server just sitting here with nothing to do

Dont alot of you rather builf your own machunes especially with the prices today
    We bought our machines customized from VaLinux, which unfortunately no longer makes hardware. Our servers are the VaLinux 2130s...

The best colocation deal we found was to post on the local Linux UserGroup lists and inquire about local companies, as we wanted access to our servers. We ended up finding a local company that wanted to offload some of their T-1 costs.. so we colocated with them at an absurdly low rate..

It's been a great deal...
    Bryan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Kaiser_Sose

Dont alot of you rather builf your own machunes especially with the prices today.

Hello Kaiser. Dedicated is not necessarily more popular. There is a good reason people go with dedicated server... administration. If you are not comfortable administering your server, keeping up with security updates, etc, stick with dedicated. Also, hosts offering dedicated servers also front all of the money for the hardware and software licensing then charging a monthly fee. They also handle any hardware issues.

You get what you pay for with servers. We stick with name brand servers as reliability is extremely important to us.
    Brad @ RackMy.com
    Co-Location and Advanced Windows 2000 Hosting Solutions.
    www.RackMy.com
    brad@rackmy.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Didicated Hosting

Thats not a bad idea. I am in LA so finding a descent size company should not be hard. Do you have any links to these types of boards and usergroups

Then again, doing this means learning linux because I doubt their company technichians would do any work on your server

Originally posted by bstrawse

We bought our machines customized from VaLinux, which unfortunately no longer makes hardware. Our servers are the VaLinux 2130s...

The best colocation deal we found was to post on the local Linux UserGroup lists and inquire about local companies, as we wanted access to our servers. We ended up finding a local company that wanted to offload some of their T-1 costs.. so we colocated with them at an absurdly low rate..

It's been a great deal...
    Bryan