SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win2k + Games + Dual boot + a lot of confusion

Since I have installed Windows 2000 on my new pc, I have not yet wanted to play a game. Right now, I am trying to install a few of them, because I wanted to game again. Here is the list of things I have tried:

--> Tomb Raider 4
    --> Monaca Grand Prix 2
    --> Soldier of Fortune

I am currently in the process of trying to install Comando's 2, but I don't think that will be running either.
    The problem is that I get a persistent error when trying to run the games, the install goes smootly like on every other OS.

Now, I have downloaded DirectX8.1 for Windows 2000 from the Microsoft website, but this doesn't seem to help either.

I know that creating a dual boot between for example Windows 2000 and Windows 98 2nd Edition solves this problem, but is this my only option? I am not to keen on creating a dual boot, since I have experience or whatsoever with things outside my OS. To be honest with you, I am even afraid of changing settings in my BIOS and have only touched it once.

I'd appreciate some help on this, since WIndows 2000 is a very nice OS and I don't want to replace it with Windows 98 2nd Edition, just because I want to game as well.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that I get a persistent error when trying to run the games, the install goes smootly like on every other OS.
    What, pray tell, is this persistent error. I would suspect that there is an issue somewhere else, other than the OS, as Win2K is quite a good gaming OS and these games should run with no probs. You hint at the same error occurring no matter the game which would further substantiate that.

Till you give more info, it's too hard to give you a specific fix, but rest assured you won't have to dual boot.

Also, make sure that you have the most recent drivers for your graphics card, etc. too.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomatoe is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The exeption unknown software exeption (0xc0000096) has occured in the execution on location 0x0048da53.
    That is the error I get.

Thanks for the link platinum, they mention some sort of patch. I just can't seem to find it .

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, you have pretty much one option if you wanna dual boot ..

1) Backup all your personal and data files.

2) Use a partitioner and create two partitions. (One will be your C drive for 98SE, one will be your D drive for 2000)

3) Restart, boot off the Win98SE disc, and install it into the first partition.

4) From within Win98SE, insert the 2000 disc and install it into the D partition.

5) Once that's done, whenever your start your computer you'll be presented with a 'bootloader' or 'bootmenu', this is basically a list of operating systems installed on your computer, in your case it will show something along the lines of:

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Microsoft Windows

The second one will be Win98SE, these steps have always worked for me .. but I can't guarantee they will work for you .. there's a 98% chance it will though.

Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try downloading new video drivers. I can play any games on my Windows 2000 machine.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just might install Windows XP next week or so. I am not to keen on the dual boot (just a personal preference though), and my video drivers are not the problem. They were updated recently, and they don't work with older games as well.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah! Get XP, but don't get Home .. get Pro. It rules!!