User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am hoping you can help me with my dilemma. I took over a website a few months back at the request of the client. It is so clunky and very hideous. I went in and optimized the backgrounds (of all colors and no continuity), the sidebar images (again of various shades of color) and the pictures, and the humongous splash page that took 2 minutes to load....you get the idea.

The client did not want the site changed at all except for me to go in and make it load faster. This I did, I also talked him into organizing it a little. However the site is still really bad. He wants me to put my company logo at the bottom of his main page. Of course this I have not done.

I am embarrased to have my name on his site but he is trying to be nice and give me some exposure. I don't know what to do. Should I just tell him the truth that his site sucks or should I just try to keep forgetting. He isn't getting the hint, and he really likes his site. *sigh* but, I don't want to lose this client.

What do you all do when you design a site you don't like and don't want to be affiliated with. All in all this client is nice and easy to work with, his tastes are just so....... different is all.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this matter.

Laura

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been there before. Try telling him in a polite way that this site was not your design or concept or even graphics therefore you don't want to take credit for it. (Now, if he wants you logo on the bottom, he should let you make him a new design )

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is that bad and the client is important (every client should be), then you can take a couple hours and design a new layout that is more up to standards. Take a look at the sites belonging to the client's competitors and show him what they are doing right and wrong. Look at the server logs. Are people surfing the site or backing out the front door as soon as they get there?

Post the url, an outside eye might be able to tell you how to proceed. There has to be something in the site that has merit. If you can incorporate that into any redesign then your on a good track. Take the initiative, the client might think its a good site because they don't know it can be better. Most people get their idea of good sites by surfing Geocities and Tripod. While there are good sites on these free providers, most of them leave a lot to be desired as far as good design goes.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 14, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tell them that you won't put your name to something that isn't 100% done by you. Say it is not in your nature to take 'credit' for other people's work (if that's what you want to call it!).

Simple - problem solved. Just be tactful, don't tell them it's a pile of junk. Sure, that would probably prompt them to ask you to redesign it, but there are other ways of doing that - for example, point out technical problems with the design, such as cross browser compatibility, that could only be resolved by a redesign.

By the way, what is the address of this site? I'd like to have a look at it...

------------------
    Visit Ethos Online http://www.ethosonline.com/ for articles, tutorials, tips, tools, reviews and resources to help you create, promote and maintain a great web site

[This message has been edited by b'vis (edited April 14, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with wluke. The best thing to do is just to tell the client that you do not promote yourself with someone else's work. Before saying so do a redesign of a page or two using the client's general idea, but spruce it up. Then when you tell the client that you don't want to take credit for the other work, tell the client that you would be happy to if you could redo the website with your "new" design and then you would be happy to post your logo. Also, you just might want to tell the client that the site isn't a very good site by industry standards (say it VERY nicely). You might also want to point out that a bad site DOES reflect badly on the clients company. People DO judge a company by its website (that should be a new saying 8) ). Anyway, the advice so far is good and I hope mine can help too.

------------------
    -Luke Soiu-
    Web Designer
    http://faintlyglimmering.tripod.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all so very much. You have been so helpful and your suggestions are excellent. As my husband explained to me- everyone has different tastes, and although I would not create a site like this, I do have to understand that others like this.

You should have seen it before I optimized the images and sliced the the splash page. Yikes. http://www.unlv.edu/programs/motor_behavior/index.htm

This client is a great person and very well versed in his field. It is just that are tastes are different. I am not doing this to undermine my client, just trying to find the best possible solution to my dilemma. I will approach him with a new layout and navigation sometime this summer and see what he says. Luckily I am designing for others at UNLV so he can see some of my other work in the future.