SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review our new layout

Hey everyone, we just recently finished up the new version of our site and I would really appreciate some testing from you guys!

It has been tested in most browsers and OS's but I am sure there are a few things we can tidy up. After hearing from a lot of our clients, we decided to go with the "content rules" type of design instead of worrying so much about the layout. It is now much easier to read, navigate, and understand than our previous site.

Any and all feedback is certainly appreciated!!

http://www.digitalrealmmedia.com

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice site. I like the colors and layout.
    What I don't like is the busy background pattern, especially if you already have a different one used for site's header. I don't think that you need the background pattern at all - maybe try using either non-aggresive gradient or 1-2 solid color for this.
    Last edited by Varelse; Aug 28, 2006 at 06:00.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Very nice.

I agree the bg pattern is distracting - not huge but could be better.

On the homepage:

"We interpret your ideas visually and we sure that you get noticed." Try: "We interpret your ideas visually to ensure they'll get noticed."

"Our philosophy is pretty simple… we produce projects that are agile, effective, and just what you need. We interpret your ideas visually and we sure that you get noticed." How about: "Our goal is simple…to produce effective, agile and visually appealing media products that get you (or your business) noticed!"

"Feel free to browse our portfolio to take a look at some of our work. If we offer any services that you are interested in, please contact us today, we would love to work with you." How about: "Browse our portfolio; if you like what you see contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you!"

From the Portfolio page:

"Check out some of our latest stuff that we have been working on. You will find examples of our web work and our print work here. Click on a project image to view the project in detail." How about: "These are examples of some of our most recently completed projects - both web & print. (Click on any image to view the project in detail.)"

The part headed "How we do it" - is it customary to describe what software, etc. is used? Does that need to be so prominent? Could you make better use of this above-the-fold space with a marketing message about, maybe, your favorite (and most impressive) project?

Your logo should be a link back home.

Review your use of the <h1> tag - it's supposed to be used once per page, and contain what best describes each page. Example: on the homepage you might wrap it around "Small . Simple . Powerful", (yea, I know it isn't html text...yet" or "Small Studio | Powerful Results", (instead of the dates your three <h1>'s are around now).

Use absolute url's - SE's like them better I've been told.

All for now.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice, it kind of draws the eye weird, though...

I find my eye being drawn to your imagery. Which is silly, since it doesn't mean anything at all. The white on orange is lack contrast for me as well, making it a touch hard to read (unless I focus on them, but hard to read in passing).

On the homepage, recent projects, the blue borders just don't do it for me. Round them off, make it something besides default blue, do something...

The "Small . Simple . Powerful" really, really bugs me. Don't screw with punctuation just for the sake of it. It won't make a positive impression, and it could make a negative one.

Fonts are a it off here and there. On the homepage, stuff under what we do is different from stuff under blog snips (why isn't there a feed icon in there anyways?). On About, under who we are, the individuals names are different again.

In spite of the front page, there's no other imagery anywhere else. All text. And this bugs me

I mean, overall it's nice. It just needs to be run through the polisher again. Especially fonts. Every page I visit has some inconsistency (Services has bold yellow links).

Besides, any reason your blog isn't your homepage? Your current homepage is static and lacks any indication that you guys know your stuff. Your blog shows that off. Make it the homepage. Don't explain what you do when you can show what you do (and don't explain what you know when you can show it on a blog).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very professional. The site is easy to navigate. I suggest you change the first sentence under the "portfolio" page from "Check out some of our latest stuff that we have been working on," to "Check out some of our latest work."
    It took me aback when I clicked on the samples of your work and everything went all dark. It took about four second before the image showed. But after I tried it two or three times, I realized it made sense to dim the background so I could focus on the image. So now I like that.
    Also, you should change the What We Do list, ‘cuz I expected to be able to click on the items, since they’re a different color. Then I was surprised that I could click the items under Recent Blog Snips.
    There are a few grammatical and punctuation errors, such as:
    Pick up this weeks copy - you forgot the apostrophe in “week’s”
    Small. Simple. Powerful - add a period after Powerful for consistency. This slogan just doesn’t work, sorry. It’s like you’re starting to go for alliteration with “small” and “simple,” then “powerful” throws it off. Also, what exactly is “small” about your projects?
    Someone already pointed out the "We interpret your ideas visually and we sure that you get noticed" sentence, so I won't.
    Good name, that Digital Realm. Not particularly memorable, but it sounds professional, and it gives one an idea of what you do, and I just like it. The font size should be more consistent throughout the website, though. I like the font on the homepage, under the Small Studio | Powerful Results section; it’s big and friendly, but not too big. But it looks too big when you see the Home, About, Services, etc. buttons, with their smaller fonts. I think they should be the same size as the main font.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far! I have made some content and wording changes and the fonts should now all be consistent.

Jeremy W., I am not seeing where you are talking about bold yellow links? I know there should be no yellow links anywhere on the site so can you possibly clarify where these are again.

Thanks everyone!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice, easy to navigate. A few grammatical errors but, then again, these guys aren't copywriters.

There is one thing, though, that gets me about the site design is the font color. The light blue links in paragraphs are just lost if you're just scanning the page, and it's not a very forceful color for a headline unless you use a black background.

Maybe I'm just too old-school when it comes to this, but I also think you should keep links (unless they are headlines, or headers above a list of links) a uniform color, separate from any other font color.

On this site, links are orange (some are blue), so I expect everything that's orange to be clickable. On the homepage, that means all the stuff under "What we do." On the services page, that means:

* Web Site Design
    * Web Site Redesign
    * Interface Design
    * Content Management Systems
    * Blogging Sites/Blogging Engines
    * Search Engine Optimization
    * Web Hosting

As a user I expected all of this stuff to be links to work done in each medium.

Overall, though, the site has a nice clean layout, and it's easily navigable.

Cheers,
    Pat