SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Physical location of website (geotargeting) - any effects?

Hi there,

I am currently looking at various hosting packages (mainly HostGator in the US). With all my sites I manage, I'm targeting UK audiences and have heard that ideally if you are, for example, targeting UK audiences then you want your site to be physically hosted in the UK - is there a true geotargeting issue here? From others, I've heard that there are no problems at all. Any ideas?

Kind Regards

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it helps but you can also have your site hosted in the U.S and then optimize it for the UK audience and get your links soley from UK websites and optimize your link text for the UK market as well.
    Discover Hidden Photoshop Secrets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this article http://domainsmagazine.com/Domains_18/Domain_3144.shtml and found it really interesting. So from what the article is saying, if I have a country specific domain, in this case .co.uk, then SE placement shouldn't be a problem if I was to host my sites in the US.

I would really like to hear other peoples stories who are in the same difficulty as I am at the momen in weighing up the pro's and con's of hosting sites in a different country than you are optimising your sites for.

regards

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SE aim to serve the best results to their users. That way, they prefer display USA websites to USA users & UK sites to UK and so on. Indeed, if you're a US user looking for law, for government, or any other localy related concerns; US websites will probably be more relevant than UK ones.
    That's why SE sort the websites accordingly to their location. Location is determined with 2 criterions :
    - host location
    - location given by TLD (.us/.co.uk/.fr ...)

The best is to host your site in the country than you're aiming to be ranked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply MagicYoYo. Which aspect does Google and pther SE's give more weight too? Location given by TLD or host location?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your domain is .co.uk your site will be considered as a british website, wherever it's hosted.
    If you use an international TLD (.com, .net, .info) the hosting location will prevail.

Note : some reported on this forum that backlinks location can help to rank a page in a specific country, independantly of your TLD or host location. Not tested it personaly yet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would host the website in the UK. The search engines have talked about geotargeting sites, such as favoring websites in results which list their mailing address in the footer (such as Yahoo). So if you are in London, you are more prone to find sites in London which list a physical address in London on their site.

And also stick to gaining inbound links from other uk domains.

Also keep in mind that UK english is different then American english so have a writer from the UK write your content. The English can tell the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26global
    The search engines have talked about geotargeting sites, such as favoring websites in results which list their mailing address in the footer (such as Yahoo).
    I'm surprised with this explanation. Any sources ?

Are SE able to geotarget at city scales ? The different test I saw geotargeting internet users are not precise enough to localize you to 200km. Specially if you don't live in a big city.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to appear that I'm hijacking the thread but how would one optimize if their core business is in USA but they want to start selling their web based products in Italy. Would you have to get links from Italian websites to your .com or would you have to set up a separate domain in italy and make the content sufficiently different to prevent any "duplicate content" penalties?