SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adsense income drop after redesign

I recently redesigned my site and have experienced a 50% drop in income, though the CTR was reduced by only 10% and overall impressions are up 30%. I can't find any glaring reason for the drop. I switched from primarily table-based to css coding. The text on the pages remains almost completetly unchanged, except I took out some personal pages that never made any money.

Can anyone suggest any reasons for this? It happened the day I switched to the redesigned site, 2 weeks ago.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you change the placement of your ads? Placement is extremely important. Check out this tutorial:

https://www.google.com/support/adsen...&topic=&type=f
    The Banana Stand - an Arrested Development fansite
    LC-3 Help - tutorials on the LC-3 educational assembly language

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass-Giant
    I recently redesigned my site and have experienced a 50% drop in income, though the CTR was reduced by only 10% and overall impressions are up 30%. I can't find any glaring reason for the drop. I switched from primarily table-based to css coding. The text on the pages remains almost completetly unchanged, except I took out some personal pages that never made any money.

Can anyone suggest any reasons for this? It happened the day I switched to the redesigned site, 2 weeks ago.
    We experienced an income drop after redesign too. Even though Adsense well placed in the new layout/style. But after a few weeks it picked up. I guess the drop was not related to the new design at all. It was the dreaded "market forces". :P
    Online Startups Insight for new entrepreneurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Cool website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did change the placement very slightly and had a slight drop in CTR, but nothing close to the 50% drop in CPM. So the ads are being clicked almost as often as they always were. The drop in CTR is likely because I changed the ad backgrounds so they don't appear as integrated with the content as they once were. But I'm happy to take that hit knowing the site is much better designed, which allows me to sign up for other ad networks and hopefully will make the site more memorable to visitors.

I think "market forces" are the new bodily humors. I'm hoping it'll pick back up again. In the meantime I'm signing up for a bunch of ad networks, hoping to strike a good balance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opposite happened to my, my ctr tripled when I implimented my redesign. but before the redesign I only had 1 ad on each page, now there are 4, that might explane things
    15k uniques visitors a month, $360 per month from Adsense.
    Make me an offer