SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Video editing hardware/software

Hey everyone! I am doing an graduation video for a class and I wanted to know what software was the best to do editing (add music, move clips around, titles, do a slide show with pictures). Also I want it video quality.

Also what hardware should I buy? A camera or what card? I need it to be high quality video because it will be projected and because I want it to be nice.

If I wanted to include a slide show of pictures, what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks.
    JC

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

It all depends how big is your budget. That said, you'll have to do research. My suggestion is to go digital and with Canon. Also, you'll get decent software with your purchase of any recent product.

As for the slide show, MS Power Point does a pretty good job.

Good Luck!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think I can take the Power Point show and put it in my video? If so, how?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by everyone
    Do you think I can take the Power Point show and put it in my video? If so, how?
    If you have a TV tuner card with TV-out or a video card with TV-out you could record the feed with your camera or VCR.

If your video camera supports flash cards and you have a flash card reader for the computer, you might be able to do it that way. I'm not sure about this one, you'll have better luck with some sort of TV-out hardware.

If your computer has Firewire (IEEE 1394) you can probably do it that way too. (You might even be able to do it with USB.)

I would talk with an experienced sales representative at a speacialy store, not the braindead 18-year old at CircuitCity or BestBuy.

No matter what you decide to go with, be prepared to spend a LOT of money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto the point dominque made. If you want quality, as in real quality, and are hoping to do some serious editing, then you have to go digital. But you will be spending big bucks (a middle of the line Sony in the UK at the mo is about 350).

I have successfully used my crappy Hauppage WinTV card with a composite in from my VCR to do some stuff, but because it is all anolgue you are always always losing quality. And it is less easy to manipulate.

As for software, the last time I did this I used Adobe Premiere (it was quite a while ago), but I found it a little confusing to use.

As for the image slide show... depending on your software, you would be able to do some kind of "video slideshow", but your best bet is probably just to have Powerpoint on the laptop (or whatever) that is doing the presentation/projection cos it handles slide shows really well.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky