SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked out thawte and verisign but is there a big difference between each company? Are there any others you recommend?
    Do you think it's necessary to get 128bit encryption? Thanks for helping me out.

-Hideki

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check with your hosting company. They may have someone you need to go with to be compatible with their system. Also you might be able to use their certificate. Otherwise I would say Verisign but only because they are the only reliable company I have heard of.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I beg to differ. Thawte's is a lot cheaper, and works just as well. Unfortunately Verisign bought up Thawte recently, so prices may change in the future. Verisign is VERY expensive in my opinion, and I find the idea of such a company validating your trading existence annoying.

Some web-hosts will make up your own generic
    SSL cert for you, OR you can 'pimp' off THEIR
    Verisign/Thawte cert. If you get a 'generic' cert (one made by your webhost, not by a company that your browser immediately accepts) the customer has to go through a process of accepting it into their browser.

It's not suitable for a big company's site, but if your site is small and idiosyncratic it might do. I have a Thawte cert myself, but if their prices go up I may go for a 'generic'. [Couldn't check their current prices as their site's not available at the moment].

TigerTom http://www.tigertom.com/merchant.htm

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys. The certificate will be for a company that sells medical equipment. So I'll probably have to stay away from a "generic" cert.
    Is a 128bit encryption really necessary? Or do most online business use something lower?

We are a small company so we don't have tons of $$ resources.

Thanks again
    -Hideki