SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stratagies for slicing up a layout

I have been coding layouts for awhile, but since i have taught myself most of the way, by reading on the internet etc.
    The thing the internet hasnt been able to teach me is how to slice up designs.

Now i know how to use the slicing tools, spltting up the elements etc, but what i am really after is the stratagies you use to plan where your slices are going to go.

Basically once you have finished a layou your ready to convert into xhtml/css, where do you make your slices, do you have a particular stratagy, what things do you need to consider. Do you try and get the least amount of images possible. Do you slice up the content areas in such away that the text can be written in a div and the image as a background behind it?

Hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction. Or at least understand what i am looking for

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do my designs in photoshop. After I design the page, I get all images that I would need to build the html page. While building the page, I insert the images. If there is a point that I forgot to get an image I open photoshop again and get it. That is basically the basic thing I do.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If sections of the layout (header, menu, content, sidebars, footer) use a solid background color, I'll use CSS to style that color. Then I'll go into Photoshop and duplicate the specific layers (the site's logo, for instance) into a new file, and then save the image and style its position with CSS. I also avoid using images for my menus at all costs.

Yes, I'm a minimalist.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a tutorial here: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/des...site-photoshop
    but instead of using tables as outlined in the article, I'd go with css.

Nadia