User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review my new Flash site.

Please review my new flash site and let me know what you think? i already have a method in place to re-route if the user does not have flash but i currently haven't built anything yet to re-route to.
    [EDIT: the re-route is now finished and in place]

i made it with the idea of customizing it to how you like, you can pick any primary and secondary color to color the site with and choose any font.

http://altoonadesign.com

please let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Last edited by halfasleeps; Sep 5, 2006 at 10:02.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey halfasleeps heres what I feel design wise:

First, the main content is presented in a dark way, meaning the black background with blue text is eye straining. Also the logo in the middle gets annoying, as my eye drifts from content to middle at times. Also it's interesting how the font chooser lets you choose fonts from your computer, but I think if someone messes with it they won't be able to find the regular default font again? In different colors the design looks a bit weird and it isn't as professional looking. The flash on the menus etc looks good and the transitions are nice. Overall somewhat good concept, flash is good but, colors and overall feel needs to be tweaked.

Hope that helps
    eBackers
    Connect with web professionals, online biz, startups and more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcom10
    Hey halfasleeps heres what I feel design wise:

First, the main content is presented in a dark way, meaning the black background with blue text is eye straining. Also the logo in the middle gets annoying, as my eye drifts from content to middle at times. Also it's interesting how the font chooser lets you choose fonts from your computer, but I think if someone messes with it they won't be able to find the regular default font again? In different colors the design looks a bit weird and it isn't as professional looking. The flash on the menus etc looks good and the transitions are nice. Overall somewhat good concept, flash is good but, colors and overall feel needs to be tweaked.

Hope that helps
    yes i realised that about the font i need to add a default font button...thats also why i havent set the font to save in your cookies although the colors do. its actually quite simple to get your machines font list from flash. Its actually a dark blue background but maybe i should make the default colors different, what would you suggest? I do want to leave the color picker because yes you can pick some strange colors that make it look un-professional but 'you' would be the one that "picked" those colors no-one else would see them but you, and i am trying to demonstrate abilities as well.

thanks for your reply!!
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, try making the homepage colors like the background blue that's there now, and a white or grey font. Play around with lighter colors, also try some gradients maybe?

Cheers
    eBackers
    Connect with web professionals, online biz, startups and more

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was pretty cool.

But the colors of the main page doesn't seem to fit each other.

The black and white set up looks much better for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i changed the default colors and added a 'restore defaults' buttons hows the default colors now?

(if your still showing your old ones its because your cookie, click restore)

Thanks!
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this the second time i looked at your site. I think your fonts thing is cool, but some of my fonts trash your design. also "restore defaults should be in an arial or some type so it can easily be read.

i am not sure if everyone will be intuitive about your scroll bars. also your color chooser is worthless.

I think what you have done is created somethink you could use under your portfolio as "flash skills" but i don't think anyone who is seriously looking for a designer would spend anytime playing with the stuff when it is used as part of the main design. In fact, I think it will cause people to leave long before they get under the hood and discover your other talents.

I know as soon as I fooled around with the fonts and colors and turned what you had into something super ugly, I was out of there. I had to go back and reload to start over just so I could explore and give you an honest critique. I would not do this if I were looking for a designer, rather move onto the next.

where is your resume? can I download and print it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisOBrien
    this the second time i looked at your site. I think your fonts thing is cool, but some of my fonts trash your design. also "restore defaults should be in an arial or some type so it can easily be read.

i am not sure if everyone will be intuitive about your scroll bars. also your color chooser is worthless.

I think what you have done is created somethink you could use under your portfolio as "flash skills" but i don't think anyone who is seriously looking for a designer would spend anytime playing with the stuff when it is used as part of the main design. In fact, I think it will cause people to leave long before they get under the hood and discover your other talents.

I know as soon as I fooled around with the fonts and colors and turned what you had into something super ugly, I was out of there. I had to go back and reload to start over just so I could explore and give you an honest critique. I would not do this if I were looking for a designer, rather move onto the next.

where is your resume? can I download and print it?
    Why did you think my color chooser was worthless? any speicific reasons?

good point about resume, i need to put mine up on there.

wow it seems like i do better with clients sites than my own, maybe im trying too hard to impress and go overboard and need to stick to business.

thanks for your reply
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps
    Why did you think my color chooser was worthless? any speicific reasons?

good point about resume, i need to put mine up on there.

wow it seems like i do better with clients sites than my own, maybe im trying too hard to impress and go overboard and need to stick to business.

thanks for your reply
    the color chooser does nothing but show your skills, and I think you just hit the nail on the head. I looked at your portfolio and you have some good stuff. I just don't think showing off all your flash skills on the main site is the way to go.

good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah man, it's not opening for me, i'm using Opera 9.0.0.

Will have a look later today, with another browser and let you know... speaking of Browsers... IE7 RC1 out today! (not saying I love it - but want to see if it's any good)

Webby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I think the font chooser is a nice idea, but maybe not have it so prominent? Maybe as just like a little feature in the same panel as the colour chooser, like a toolbox.
    I agree that once I changed the font, things started to look a little screwy. I do like the transitions though, as well as your preloader.
    Im not sure if the fonts cannot be anti-aliased because of the font picker, but I definitely think you should anti-alias them...
    I particularly like d the default colours (the maroony colours)
    Good work overall...imho
    D

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I looked at and I like it! Good job! I didn't use the font chooser but I do like the color chooser. Also on your home page, the scroll bars in sidebars didn't work for me. Even if they aren't meant to, it isn't a good idea having something on your home page that might appear to be broken.

Getting back to the color chooser... ChrisObrien says it does "nothing but show your skills". IMO that's exactly one thing you hope from your home page. Showing off a bit never hurts when you have something good to show. Your color chooser made me want to have a closer look at your site and your portfolio. So again --- Good job!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm....

Well, well, well

I feel you could have done better if you had taken more time

it is a bit dull, and not exciting enough.

get to it..

ciao

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kabudu
    Well, well, well

I feel you could have done better if you had taken more time

it is a bit dull, and not exciting enough.

get to it..

ciao
    I feel you could have made a better review if you had taken more time, it is a bit dull and not really very informative.

To the OP:

I didn't notice the font thing before unless you recently changed it. I think you have way too many choices there and would be much better off if you allowed your visitors a choice of certain fonts that will compliment your design. For instance, at top you have 3 choices of Abadi font. Even if you had just one choice of each font, it would still be too many. I would suggest you limit choices to one or two each - a serif font, a script font, a decorative font, a san-serif font.

Additionally, you making the choices better shows off your skill as a designer. Most pros wouldn't let their clients pick from 100. Generally you'll just show a client 3 to five choices and work through to their preferences from there.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    I feel you could have made a better review if you had taken more time, it is a bit dull and not really very informative.

To the OP:

I didn't notice the font thing before unless you recently changed it. I think you have way too many choices there and would be much better off if you allowed your visitors a choice of certain fonts that will compliment your design. For instance, at top you have 3 choices of Abadi font. Even if you had just one choice of each font, it would still be too many. I would suggest you limit choices to one or two each - a serif font, a script font, a decorative font, a san-serif font.

Additionally, you making the choices better shows off your skill as a designer. Most pros wouldn't let their clients pick from 100. Generally you'll just show a client 3 to five choices and work through to their preferences from there.
    The reason the font list is so high is beause it loads all the fonts the user has installed on their computer to pick from, If i wanted to pick a set of 5 different fonts for them to pick from then i would have to embed all 5 of those fonts incase the user didnt have one installed on their machine, letting you select from a list of fonts that you have on your machine i dont need to embed any and it keeps file size down alot. But you still have a good point, maybe it would be best if a do have a small set of fonts and write a script to check which ones they have....like if they have verdana, add it to the list else if they have arial add it to the list else if they have georgia etc.

thanks
    Altoona Design

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    kabudu, such a "review" will NOT help anyone. I'd recommend reading "Website Reviews" forums Guidelines:
    The member would usually rather hear comments about particular aspects of his or her site, rather than general judgements of the website. It would be unhelpful to submit just a rating, without drawing attention to some of the factors which influenced your rating.
    A comment such as "I do not like the color scheme" is not extensive enough and is not considered helpful to members.
    If you are aiming for fulfilling the forum requirements and making the 3 reviews as soon as possible, I can assure you, that "reviews" like this WILL NOT count as the helpful ones.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps
    The reason the font list is so high is beause it loads all the fonts the user has installed on their computer to pick from, If i wanted to pick a set of 5 different fonts for them to pick from then i would have to embed all 5 of those fonts incase the user didnt have one installed on their machine, letting you select from a list of fonts that you have on your machine i dont need to embed any and it keeps file size down alot. But you still have a good point, maybe it would be best if a do have a small set of fonts and write a script to check which ones they have....like if they have verdana, add it to the list else if they have arial add it to the list else if they have georgia etc.

thanks
    Ah... no wonder they all looked so familiar! I have over 500 fonts on my computer. Do you see a problem there? I know most "regular" user's probably don't, but even the 100 or so system fonts are a bit much to scroll through.

There's a program you can get to embed certain fonts called weft from (where else ) Microsoft. I have it, but haven't had occassion to use it. I'm not sure how it would integrate with Flash either, but it might be worth your while to take a look-see.

I would stick with my suggestion to embed a dozen or so (more than enough from which to choose, I think). More is just confusing. Additionally, because of the number of fonts on my computer, I had a hard time getting rid of the fonts list to click any of your other links.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower
    Ah... no wonder they all looked so familiar! I have over 500 fonts on my computer. Do you see a problem there? I know most "regular" user's probably don't, but even the 100 or so system fonts are a bit much to scroll through.

There's a program you can get to embed certain fonts called weft from (where else ) Microsoft. I have it, but haven't had occassion to use it. I'm not sure how it would integrate with Flash either, but it might be worth your while to take a look-see.

I would stick with my suggestion to embed a dozen or so (more than enough from which to choose, I think). More is just confusing. Additionally, because of the number of fonts on my computer, I had a hard time getting rid of the fonts list to click any of your other links.
    wow 500 fonts, and i thought i had alot! thanks for your thoughts i definantly think i do need to figure out something to do about the fonts, Ill look into the weft and see what i can come up with thanks

and thanks everyone else who has reviewed!
    Altoona Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok for the font chooser what i did was create a function to check their installed fonts verses a set of basic fonts and if they have the font add to the font chooser, so they will get any from 0-11 fonts ('Arial', 'Georgia', 'Helvetica', 'sans-serif', 'Times New Roman', 'serif', 'Courier New', 'Courier', 'monospace', 'Geneva','Verdana') But i also didnt want to loose the impression that i can get all the "user's" fonts because alot of people who do flash that reviewed my site seemed to be impressed by that, so i also added a button to the list to "See All Fonts" which then will add all the users fonts to the list, but i made it so the hieght of the menu cannot exceed 485 pixels high so the height and closing wont be an issue. i looked into weft but i decided to go this route.
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Enthusiast Joshimitsu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good, not too sure why there is a font chooser though, although its pretty cool!

And, you have some nice effects in it. I like what you did with all the buttons, some pretty neat stuff in there.

I think you should revise the colors though dude.. maybe yellow instead of the red or something? Just look at some color wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshimitsu
    Pretty good, not too sure why there is a font chooser though, although its pretty cool!

And, you have some nice effects in it. I like what you did with all the buttons, some pretty neat stuff in there.

I think you should revise the colors though dude.. maybe yellow instead of the red or something? Just look at some color wheels.
    Thanks, theres a couple reasons for the font chooser, the main reason for it is that some peoples eye's adjust to reading certain fonts, some people may find times easier to read while other may find arial easier to read, so i thought it would be nice if they had an option to choose which font. And secondly to show-off

i also just finished the alternate page to be redirected to if someone doesnt meet the requirements for the flash page. It is http://altoonadesign.com/no_flash.php i wanted to make it look alot like the flash site but i didnt take alot of time to make any cool transitions or anything (i figure if they like that sort of thing odds are they will meet the requirements).
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite frustrating experience when you can't select any text within a website (unlock your text boxs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any reason at all for using all flash for this website.

Everything you created can be done with an (x)html/css site, with a few flash elements. It think that would be a much better route.

Just because you can make an entire website in flash, doesn't mean you should (unless you really push the limits)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosem
    I don't see any reason at all for using all flash for this website.

Everything you created can be done with an (x)html/css site, with a few flash elements. It think that would be a much better route.

Just because you can make an entire website in flash, doesn't mean you should (unless you really push the limits)
    I am not an (x)html/css site developer and i am not trying to sell my services to people who want that i am trying to sell my services to people who need flash ....so why would i want to use xhtml/css over flash?
    Altoona Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's amazing

I won't go over the dark font on the home page because everyone else said that and as I say below, maybe it's alittle wordy and you should section the paragraphs off into smaller units. But, it's beautiful, loads quickly, easy to manuever. I went to your portfolio first and played with all the fun toys there. It's fantastic and I think in your About section you should be alittle more arrogant based on how good your are. Maybe split your about section into two and put the "how you can hire me" up high and the rundown of what you've done in another pulldown menu. I had to search too hard to find the freelance info.
    I left the etch a sketch up to play with and show my daughter. You are very talented.