SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape is making me very, very, angry! I have spent over a month coming up with a new design for the website at work. It works absolutely perfect in IE, but in Netscape it looks very jacked up. The reason. . . Netscape completly ignores my table's cell values for width and hiegth. Here's how I have my layout set up:
    I have one large table that is 700px wide. Inside that there are 3 cells. In the top cell I have another table with 2 cells. The top cell is 700px wide and 50px or so tall and has an image exactly the same size (so there is no problem with it.) The next cell is split into 6 cells. The first is 125 x 20 with an image the same size, the next is 123 x 20 with a background image and text, and the remaining 4 are 113 x 20 with a background image and text. That's were the problem is. All I can figure is that Netscape decides how big your cells are going to be depending on how much stuff is in them. Since these only have text, it shrinks the cells down to wrap around the text, thus making my navigation bar look VERY bad.
    Please help me! Is there some code I can put in to FORCE Netscape to use my values or should I just say blankety off to Netscape and boycott them?

To see for youself go to: http://www.interlandusa.com/aNewStyle/TheCarlyle.htm

------------------
    -Luke Soiu-
    Web Designer
    http://faintlyglimmering.tripod.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can see you doing is place the contents of each cell within <div> tags and then clip those DIVs to the correct size using CSS.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. . . Netscape doesn't seem to like CSS much either. (And being a Dreamweaver junkie, I haven't really taken the time to learn any real code well enough to do something like that) But I suppose if someone told me how to do that, I could probably try it. (I REALLY need to learn HTML, CSS, ASP. . . I'm slackin')

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this little work around for the cell that keeps collapsing, make a transparent gig 1 pix high by as wide as your cell is and stick it on the top of the cell. also if your going to put an image in a cell have the height and width applied to the image and not the cell, this will take care of the how each browser renders the cell, i.e. the browser will caollapse the cell to fit the image there by giving you the size your looking for to begin with.

hope this helps, storm

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I think your idea (Storm) could work out pretty well. I'll try it out on Monday. The only problem I can forsee thus far is that the cells that are collapsing are the ones that my navigational text goes into and I kinda want it to be as centered as possible (vertically) so that it doesnt look too funny. But I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.
    Thanks again.

------------------
    -Luke Soiu-
    Web Designer

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the image underneath the text then. 1 pixel width won't hurt the alignment that much but the <br> will since it will be the height of you text not the image.

In each cell put
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>
    text&lt;br&gt;
    &lt;img src="spacer.gif" height="1" width="112" hspace="0" vspace="0"&gt;
    [/code]

Note the lack of an Alt tag will cause your code to break in a validator but ignore it. You don't want your visitors to even know its there.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited April 16, 2000).]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you VERY, VERY much. Your idea worked perfectly! Thanks again.

------------------
    -Luke Soiu-
    Web Designer