SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem With Drivers!

Hello all,

After reformatting my computer, and adding the drivers, it looks like I can only go up to 16 colors in the Display options, and can't go past the 480*600 screen resolution.

What could be causing this? A bad video driver? How could I find out which one I need? There's already one installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need more details!

What OS, Video Card, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use the driver which came with your graphics card, that should fix it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, sorry!

Windows 98, with a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) driver on a Micron computer.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Standard VGA adapter is what windows installs when it doesn't know what you've got and doesn't have a driver for it. You need to install (as Luqman said) the driver that came with the computer (probably on a CD somewhere) to fix it up. Or, open up the box and look at what's written on the card itself. This should hopefully give you enough info to find out what it is (who made it and what model). Then try the manufacturer's website or even just a google search to find the appropriate driver.

windrivers.com is probably the best place I know for drivers however you now have to pay to use the service... advertising mustn't be making the $$ anymore

So yes, it is a driver things (when is it not )
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomatoe is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Silverado4x4
    Windows 98, with a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) driver on a Micron computer.
    the standard PCI graphics adapter driver is the "fallback" windows provides when you don't have the specific driver installed... it's very limited (i think 16 colors, 800 X 600)

the best way to find your drivers is to first find out what video card you're using... you can use sisoft sandra at www.sisoftware.co.uk/sandra to find out...

if you have the driver disc then install from there... otherwise you've to turn to the web...

you can go to the "publisher's" website to get the drivers... if not, you can always get the reference drivers which should be available at the developer's website... for example, a Creative Nvidia TNT card would have Creative as it's publisher and Nvidia as it's developer so try both this sites for the drivers... if all else fails, you can go to windrivers.com as was mentioned or do a search at any software/driver portals

phew... hope it works out
    Last edited by redemption; Dec 1, 2001 at 12:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed help.

I have another question that isn't about drivers...

How come when I switch identities in Outlook Express, it freezes, and after you restart, it'll just show a busy cursor then disappear after you click the Outlook Express button? It's done it on this computer already (after the reformat), before the reformat on this computer, and on the laptop. Reinstalling it doesn't work, either.
    Last edited by Silverado4x4; Dec 1, 2001 at 12:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed help.

By the way, did you know that the sandra.co.uk site changed hands? You might want to check it out before recommending it for drivers.
    no problem! i assume you got it fixed?

btw i'm really sorry about the earlier goof ... duh!... should check the link first... i just took it off the top of my mind and it turned out to be something really ermm *cough* explicit...

i edited the link now though and it works lol... and it isn;t for drivers, but for getting your system information...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I haven't gotten it fixed yet.

I'm trying to find the files for the Diamond Viper 770 right now. I'm redownloading it off Micron's website, but it probably won't work as it didn't before.

Do you have any idea about the Outlook Express problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope sorry no idea about the OE problem cos i dun use diff identities...

about your video card though...

i did a little research and turned up this:

the Diamond Viper 770 is based on the Riva TNT2 video card chipset... but Diamond's out of business now (bought over i think a while back) so you're not gonna get support from them i think...

i went to nVidia's website and it appears that the detonator drivers are your best bet... i don't have an nVidia card but i know there're among the best out there and so are their Detonator drivers... get them here... if that doesn't solve your problem it pretty much leaves out the video card drivers as the problem

*note to self: check the link!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to call Micron and see if they can take us step by step. Seems like we've tried everything! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're going to call Micron and see if they can take us step by step. Seems like we've tried everything! lol
    tech support... i hate them as much as they hate us

you sure installing the Detonator drivers didn't work... aside: as you can see i'm determined to see this through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you're determined, because on our side we're determined too...or was.

We talked the tech support into helping us even though we're passed the warranty.

Turns out we were looking for the wrong driver card; the correct one was a Star Fighter one, so he had us go through different options in Safe Mode deleting different files and stuff, then plugging in the game Star Fighter that came with the computer that had the driver files, and voila! That, and now my sound works!

Now about Outlook Express:
    We uninstalled everything on the Prodigy CD including RealPlayer, Outlook Express 5, and Prodigy, then reinstalled it. It didn't install RealPlayer or Outlook Express 5 and I'm glad. I believe that CD may be corrupted. So here I am at Microsoft's site searching around for the upgrade to Outlook Express 5 (I have a lower version that came with the computer).

Phew...I hope we don't have to reformat any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i'm glad it worked anyhow

it's weird that they put the drivers in the game CD though