SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suggest a php directory script

that has mapping feature and rating. I see http://www.phpmydirectory.com so far. Are there any others that are comparable? This would be utilized for business listings. I want to compare some directories before purchasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try eSyndicat.com

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link Up Gold is another, very highly rated by its users (see their forums!). It hasn't got a mapping feature built in but you can create extra data fields to put into your templates to show whatever data you needed. A simple tweak to your templates could call up any mapping service you wanted to use.

The developer support is excellent! The url is http://www.phpwebscripts.com/

I'm rebuilding one of my own sites using this script and am very impressed with it's flexibility.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken a look here?
    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...ing/index.html
    Both scripts mentioned so far have a pretty good sized user base.
    You might want to think about how easy they are to customize, and also take a look their support, and see what sort of problems are common. Both phpmydirectory and esyndicat are competitors of mine (phpLD). Between the two, I think esyndicat is the better of the two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'll check them out.

dvduval, you mentioned esyndicat being your choice of the two. Can you share your reasons why?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried phpld but not to pleased with it..anywayz eSyndicat is my recomendation too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smnoel
    Thank you. I'll check them out.

dvduval, you mentioned esyndicat being your choice of the two. Can you share your reasons why?
    Yes, esyndicat has a much more active support forum, and a larger user base, meaning there is more help available, more templates, and more mods.

ckita, it might be good if you gave a reason also why you did not like phpLD. It is a very popular script, but certainly people have their reasons, so it would be great if you could provide yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody actually been using / ever used eSyndicat before here?

I have been looking at eSyndicat, and also your Php link directory script (dvduval), and I think I wanna try both.

I'm currently looking at the list on the hotscripts website

So far, I've found eSyndicat, PhpLinkDirectory and PhpMyDirectory to be the most well-known major link/directory scripts out there.
    Does anyone know any other better scripts perhaps?
    They will run and not grow weary,
    They will walk and not be faint.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have already named the top 3 in terms of market share.
    WSNLinks and Klinks and Gossamer Threads would be some other pretty big ones.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi..

eSyndicate directory example:

click here

Both phpLD and eSyndiacte are very good...you can't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99debra99
    Hi..

click here

Hope this helps.
    Hi Debra, I like that excalibur website, it's neat and clean.

Would you tell me why are you using eSyndicat for your excalibur website over PhpLD?
    They will run and not grow weary,
    They will walk and not be faint.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try wsnlinks.com
    Its very powerful and feature rich.
    Hostology.info
    Articles, Guides, Glossary, Latest news and much more for
    hosting & Domain name community !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleCow
    try wsnlinks.com
    Its very powerful and feature rich.
    Which features do you especially like?

SitePoint Addict silver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out edirectory.com

You might want to take a look at www.edirectory.com

I stumbled across it the other day. It looks extremely professional and impressive. The only problem - the price tag!

But, if you're looking for something that doesn't look like an amatuer link farm, it might be the way to go.

Good luck...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also take a look at indexu www.nicecoder.com and PowerSeek http://www.focalmedia.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to come right out and say it - I haven't seen any good sites built with www.phplinkdirectory.com !

The only sites that use the script tend to be generic link farm sites that don't provide any value to the owner of the site or the unfortunate people that happen to land on sites using the script.

Before using this script, I'd seriously ask yourself whether you intend to achieve a link farm that strives for page rank as its only goal or whether you intend to develop a site that has longer-term value to a niche community. If you're only after a link farm, this script may be perfect for you. If you want to achieve anything beyond this - such as a real directory with useful information, then personally I'd think about other options.

Ask for some urls of sites that have undergone so-called successful customisations of the script. You'll find that they are merely link farm sites that aim to have as many links both to and from as many sites - on as many different random topics - as possible. Great if you want to have links coming in and out of your site on topics as diverse as magic, ozone depletion, and the sex trade in Hungary. Not much good if you aspire to something beyond this.

I feel that to build any sort of business on the internet, it needs to provide some value to users. I struggle to see how link farms do that. In fact they are really just a nuisance and will likely be penalised in the future by search engines for their capacity to waste space and time. Think about it - it wouldn't be that difficult for google, by looking at code output from particular scripts, to start penalising sites using a particular software that was known to be the platform for building spam link farms. After all, google has publicly stated that they intend to penalise sites that are generating false PR. When you think about it, all link farms are designed to do is generate nothing more than false PR by delivering heaps of spam links.

Just my opinion - increasingly, you'll need to provide real value on the net or perish! Most people are sick to death of spam link farm sites. We don't need the ones that are out there now, and we certainly don't need another one built!

I've looked into this quite a bit! Many of the people who initially rave about this software and happily talk about how great they have found it have build some of the most attroicious sites on the net I've ever seen. Many of these, if you go through various forums, don't exist beyond 6 months. By then, the people who initially raved about the software have come to the realisation that their plan to generate revenue by merely providing the world with yet another spam link farm wasn't based on a realistic assessment of their value proposition. Invariably, they close down their site within 12 months.

Consider your value proposition carefully!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of directories these days, but you can't say they are all bad or all good. What you you do with software has a lot to do with it.
    Is your goal to make money?
    Are you trying to fill a niche?
    There are a lot of reasons for having a directory

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to add that a lot of the attention is going to these general directories, but really there are tons of directories that are being used for all sorts of other things like chuch directories, blog directories, and virtually every type of niche. It's a lot more difficult to have a general directory of quality, but the reason you are seeing a lot of them is because people are making money, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe that link farm sites make money. However, I do believe that people selling the platforms that enable spam link farm sites DO make money! And that's plain and simple, but altogether unfortunate.

SitePoint Enthusiast Simon Gooffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Try eSyndiCat. Recently re released a new version. You can check our demo here. http://www.esyndicat.com/demo/

Please ask in case you have any questions.
    Directory Software - ultimate tool to build your own directory

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hairybob
    I don't believe that link farm sites make money. However, I do believe that people selling the platforms that enable spam link farm sites DO make money! And that's plain and simple, but altogether unfortunate.
    Again, you fail to address the point that not all link directories are general directories. There are actually more directories for niche than for general. Here are some:
    http://www.godlyreminders.com/
    http://www.industry-blogs.com/
    http://www.delightfulblogs.com/
    http://www.dance-forums.com/directory/

While making money is important for us to have enough resources to support and improve our script, we make less than you might think. We also offer a free version of the script.

Now back to whether or not these sites are making money....
    Take a look at the prices at http://www.alivedirectory.com/submit.php
    Now look at the More Detail on http://www.alivedirectory.com/latest-links.html and look at the "date added". These people are using my script and making more than me! Here is another one: http://www.avivadirectory.com/

Whether you are trying to organize links for a niche or make money, I think I have shown examples to disprove your premise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval
    These people are using my script and making more than me!
    Maybe it's time to rethink the business plan dvduval. I wouldn't use your script as I agree with Hairybob that it needs some serious development and you need to put some sizzle into its presentation.

The average coder come webmaster has no idea on presentation. As a result you get a bunch of websites that have the same bland look and functionality.

You obviously have the ability to code well, but I find these skills normally come with an inherent lack of design/marketing ability. Maybe it is time to put your skills into an area that is of high demand, or maybe have a look at edirectory closely and say, hmmmm, they are onto something there.

Dalt

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dalt
    Maybe it's time to rethink the business plan dvduval. I wouldn't use your script as I agree with Hairybob that it needs some serious development and you need to put some sizzle into its presentation.

The average coder come webmaster has no idea on presentation. As a result you get a bunch of websites that have the same bland look and functionality.

You obviously have the ability to code well, but I find these skills normally come with an inherent lack of design/marketing ability. Maybe it is time to put your skills into an area that is of high demand, or maybe have a look at edirectory closely and say, hmmmm, they are onto something there.

Dalt
    There are over 100 templates available for phpLD. The idea that they all look the same is simply not true. Try looking at the site of the month winners:
    http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/arti...Winners/page_1
    They are all very unique. It's sort of like saying all forums look the same.

Edirectories pricing plan prices them out of the average webmaster's budget, and I'm thoroughly convinced their software has been tested in very few environments. Their site may look pretty, but they are no major player in this market right now.

When you talk about putting sizzle into the presentation, that has very little to do with programming. As noted in the site of the month winners, there are lots of directory sites with sizzle. Could phplinkdirectory.com have more sizzle? Absolutely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99debra99
    Hi..

click here

Hope this helps.
    Nice site