SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cupid
    Jeremy, why not partition your harddrive and install both unix and windows? If you're leaping into the *nix world, it's natural that you won't be familiar with the new os. This way, you can still boot into windows when you need something you just don't know how to do on the new platform.
    Thanks, but I'm way ahead of you

I've already been warned that a large portion of my programs (and even some of my networking hardware) won't run on *nix, so I'm planning on installing linux on my second hard drive. I just want to dabble in linux, not use it as my main os.
    File not found. Look behind couch? (Y/N)

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to say that WIN ME was the worst OS to date that MS built.

I have a system at home running Mandrake 8.0 and it is somewhat old and runs great, just have plenty of hard drive space if you want to load all of it.

Also agree with the learn the manual way of doing things because in Linux and others you are doing more from the command prompt so to speak than like windows GUI. Althought the X window in Mandrake is really nice and works rather well.
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Mandrake 8.1 running on P3 866 with 384mb's memory. It's a on a seperate 10gb drive dual booting with Windows 2000(the only one worth bothering with...IMO) on the other drive.

The thing with Linux, from what i've learned is that you really have to use it and stay away from windows for a week or two to really appreciate it.

An example would be anyone that's tried to switch from Paintshop Pro to Photoshop, the only way it's going to really happen is by staying away from PSP and using PS.
    I'm trying that to learn GIMP now.

Installation was quite easy, though I messed around a lot and ended up reinstalling several times before getting a solid and stable installation. Performance wise I believe nearly any computer should be capable of running Linux itself, it's the Desktop that takes the requirements. Gnome runs nicely on my system.

As far as being too easy to really learn, I doubt that. The only real differences i've seen between this and older RH and other Distro's is that it supports far more hardware and is much easier to install. There's plenty of adminstration tools to make it easy as well, but you can still always do it the dirty way.
    It's great if you want to simply start using it without spending time trying to figure out hardware, network settings and compiling drivers..