SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for more information on image copyrights and watermarks. I'd use Digimarc, but with 1400 images it would cost $400/year. If I could find a program that will watermark images at a more affordable rate OR a program that will only display an image if it is on my server. Any suggestions?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know Browsers don't check to see if the image is licensed to be on a particular server. How watermarking works is using special searching technology the company providing the service is able to track your images down as they are loaded by their robots. You can install bandwidth protection on your server but this doesn't prevent someone from saving the image to their own server. Digital Watermarking is the only viable way of tracking your images. Unfortunately I don't know of any other companies besides Digimarc that provides this service. The industry is still in its infancy and they will show up eventually.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    WR Moderator
    Internet Media Provider

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are of course a myriad of filters that you can download that work with Photoshop, one of which is a digimarc watermark filter that lets you add watermarks. So if you are really thinking you will one day be in a courtroom over a copyright infringement you may want to try that. It'll be all the proof you need.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how it would cost you $400/year to Digimarc your images. As far as I know, if you are like me, and have the "free" license ID number, then it doesn't cost you a penny, unless you plan on sending out the robots to find all your images.

Perhaps recently they have changed their way of doing things, but that is how I understand they work: free license = pay for robots.

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

[This message has been edited by Isaiah (edited April 16, 2000).]