SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why pay to have your site listed in a directory?

Hello,

The thread Show me your directory! got me thinking. I'm impressed by the sheer number of web directories and their quality but... while I understand why webmasters would want to have a such a directory (traffic, revenue...), it puzzles me why others are willing to pay to appear in them (I'm not speaking about free directories).

Site-sift, for example, offers paid submissions ranging from $24.95 to $100.00. What do you get for that kind of money? Is it traffic? (do people actually visit web directories??) Is it an increased PR?

Vincent

DISCLAIMER. Note that I'm very impressed by the clean and professional look of Site-Sift. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, and I'm not trying to advertise or criticize their service. Site-sift was only mentioned as an example.
    Last edited by vincedo; Aug 28, 2006 at 03:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well some paid directories have traffic, while others have very good pagerank so they help you somehow.

On either case it is not so important to pay, but for people who have big budget is propably fine.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a forum I read that directories does not help much to get PR or visitors. Because most of the visitors to those directories just go there and submit their link. The visitors don't really browse the directories for information. Therefore they don't see your link. So is it still ideal to submit links to free directories?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a bit of traffic from smaller directories.
    I don't think many people actually use them as a place to start to find something, but if they find a site they like and search for similar sites on a search engine, directories can come up as results, giving webmasters with a link in that directory sosme indirect traffic. I suppose that would make them working slightly like doorway pages

Tim

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your site is new, i think you better submt it to web directories.

and why not submit?

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've become very conscious of something Matt Cutts said in his video blog - that Google is likely to pay more attention to the rate at which a site aquires new links rather than the overall number of links. To me this is very important and affects things like paid directories.

If Google counts the total number of links only, then it could be well worth paying to be in a few. However, if Google is interested in the rate, or change in links over time, then you would need to keep paying for new listings to keep it up. The $25 you spent on one directory would not be as useful after a while.

I'm sure the total number of links will still be worth something but I think the idea of paying for a hundred links and never having to do anything else is dying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smaller business directories that show all the links and micro ads on one page can be useful for some business sites--- Especially if the directory owner promotes it well.

Q...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlaiz
    if your site is new, i think you better submt it to web directories.

and why not submit?
    Because it costs money!
    (My question is about why you would submit for a paid listing, not a free one.)

Quote Originally Posted by dave owen
    I've become very conscious of something Matt Cutts said in his video blog - that Google is likely to pay more attention to the rate at which a site aquires new links rather than the overall number of links. To me this is very important and affects things like paid directories.
    Interesting. I didn't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by QiSoftware
    Smaller business directories that show all the links and micro ads on one page can be useful for some business sites--- Especially if the directory owner promotes it well.
    Ok, so directories can be useful, I have no doubt about that. I'm just asking why you would pay to get listed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Submit to all the free directories you can... it's free linkage, people. I understand the whole "it's not quantity, but quality" thing you are going after, but honestly, quantity sure helps too. No matter how you look at it, it's still free traffic.

Don't forget you get a lot of links from sites that pull feeds from these directories. Submitting to 10 directories today can perhaps mean 100 incoming links 5 years from now.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, also submit it manually, you can be able to submit it in proper categories and insert there more information about your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Gladding & etechsupport....One should submit to directories because they bring in "One Way Backlinks" to your site...also few directories do pass on their PR to the sites listed with them...but I personally don't think it's worth paying $299.00 (Yahoo!) or $100.00 for get just one back links, when you can get hundreds through a directory submission service at the same price...plus these paid directories hardly bring in any traffic...i mean I have never search Yahoo! Directory for reference...have anyone of you ever done so??

And yes..always do it manually...automated submission, in my opinion, doesn't bring in the right value for your money...

Cheers
    Rahul Rungta,
    Manual Directory Submission service
    to 500 SEO friendly directories for $99.95 only.