Hybrid View

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating Style properties

Hi guys,

Using Javascript I know you can create elements on the page, but is it possible to create properties within the Style element?

For instance, I want to create the following CSS style:
    Code:
    .className
    {
      background-color: #9cf;
      border-top: 2pt solid #000;
      border-right: 1pt solid #000;
      border-bottom: 1pt solid #000;
      border-left: 1pt solid #000;
    }
    Is this possible using the DOM, or will I need to export all of my styles in one long text string and replace the Style tags innerHTML?

Thanks guys,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do it by altering the .style properties of the element:
    Code:
    elem.style.backgroundColor = '#9cf';
    elem.style.borderTop = '2pt solid #000';
    (note: I'm not sure if you can use shorthand properties like that, actually)

CSS style properties (lower-case, hyphenated) become DOM style properties (camelCase, non-hyphenated).

You shouldn't really do that anyway - much easier to simply apply the relevant class to your element and keep your styling in the CSS:
    Code:
    elem.className = 'className';

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bradley, though I can't possibly do this for every element that share a classname. I guess then that the only option is to write out the innerHTML of the style tag in one hit.

Thanks,
    Jordan

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, it seems, like the rest of my project, that this is going to be another part to cause me grief. Apparently I cannot write to the innerHTML of the style tag.

Is the only option I have to modify the style attributes one by one for each element? Will I need to loop through them all individually and apply the styles?

Surely there has to be a better way to handle this? Perhaps I will create individual CSS files and load and unload them for each selection... Hmmmmm.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Regards,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can't you apply the .className CSS class to the elements as you create them? Surely you're not going to have a totally different appearance for every single element, so there will only be a relatively small number of additional CSS rules needed.

And you don't need to loop through them all, you can just apply the .className when the element is created.

I ♥ PHP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is how I have it setup at present Buddy Bradley. I need to insert the actual CSS dynamically though, this is the problem. I don't seem to be able to write to the <style> tag's innerHTML, only read from it. This is why I thought I may need to apply the styles one by one to each individual element.

Also just to note I cannot have the CSS hardcoded in to the HTML page unfortunately.

I am trying another option now though, if it works I'll let you know.

Regards,
    Jordan