SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website critique, please! Clean, professional site that validates...

Please take a look at this site and let me know what you think. The client wanted it narrow, clean and with lots of white space.

http://www.scottalarm.net/home.php

Thanks for offering me your ideas and advice.
    Web Design, Marketing, Etc .............

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site. Maybe I would rethink the flash logo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Chris. The client wanted some aggressive Flash, so I was happy I talked them into something fairly modest.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I noticed is that the navigation bg is to light and it makes the link text hard to read.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I like the layout of the site. Very clean and professional. Easy to read, nice colour scheme. I would agree with the previous comment, that the rollover on the side navigation is rather light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions on the menu a:hover - I darkened it up a bit.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site. I don't mind the flash - it's tasteful and nonobtrusive. The graphics used also got that "you can trust me" quality that's probably quite important for someone that sells security-related products..

If I can offer some slight criticisms, it might be these two things:

- The footer. Is it really necessary with all that information? It looks kind of cluttered to me.
    - I'm not sure I'm crazy about the combination of Trebuchet MS and letter-spacing you have used. It's not bad, but have you tried experimenting with other setups?

Anyway, good job!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very professional and if that's what they wanted that's what you have to give them about the flash. Other then that very nice clean cut look, easy to navigate. I like the colore scheme!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clean and looks nice. You can tell from looking at the page what you do and the purpose of the site.

Now, personally I would take your two url links and move them to the top of the blue box, then cut off a little bit on the width of the blue box and cut half or more in height. Place another graphic of a yard with a sign (if you provide a sign).

There's a lot of content for a home page. Perhaps better organizing your content under questions might help. What is this site about? Home Security. What's this site for? Selling home security. Can you offer a sample/example/normal price, rate or quote somewhere which stands out?

It's a nice site but what makes it good in my eyes is that it has potential, it's something you can work with and make better without making seriously dramatic changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, clean design. If it's Scott Alarm though, shouldn't alarms be placed above/ahead of sight/sound?
    Also, you might want to link the financing options to the financing options.
    Last, there isn't much of a keyword strategy there. That's fine if he doesn't want SE traffic, but if he does, you may want to redo the onsite optimization, and pick some keywords over at inventory.overture.com. I'd start by checking out 'hislocation alarm' hislocation security etc...
    If you want more tips on SEO, you can also check out my blog (see my sig). I'm also looking to work with designers who want to outsource SEO (and make commissions, plus get a cut of the SEO charge), so if you're one of them, let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice, clean and open. if you client wanted white space, this should provide it. you also did an excellent job of placing text links in a number of spots, some linking to other pages and some linking to partner companies. in that same line of thought, you might reconsider your title tag content, and replace it with some stronger keyword phrases related to the industry.

unless this company is well-branded in their demographic area, i doubt anyone would be entering "myscottalarm.com" as a search string.

just my 2

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. The footer is a little cluttered though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi dwzemens,
    In no particular order:

I'm confused. Are there two companies or just one?

What % of your visitors are using 800x600 screen rez? You may want to try and decrease the height of the "colored box & photo" area under the header. That 'thar's valuable real estate! You could find "happy face" stock photos that lend themselves to a wide and short aspect ratio and fade 'em to color on the left. That is unless your happy face pic contains branding or a "limited-time offer" message...

Can you make your "sight sound security" tag line html text? Good keywords them.

"Finest Products" - a bit awkward to me. I don't think there's any need for a header. Or, would "Partners" be accurate?

The "website rollout" message: good for a corporate site or intranet. Most people don't have time to read a welcome message. They need benefits and strong/clear calls to action.

Hey, a source code welcome! Your homepage could use an h1, h2 & h3 tag. It does have an h4 tag.

Who's that webmaster stuff for in the footer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is just one company, but they wanted the two URL's on their homne page.

I did change the image to say "Partners" - good idea. The images themselves are part of a "template" from a consortium that this company belongs to, and the overall look needs to be consistent, so I am pretty much stuck with that.

I admit that the use of H1 and H2 tags could be better, and I am putting that on my list of things to correct with the next version.

The SEO tips are well taken, too, and I will take some time to study that issue.