User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shall we give it as a free software?

Hi there,
    I have completed about 50% of myspace.com style php script. Its very scalable. I startd this project with an aim of selling it. While I was developing it, I came across many sites and new concepts.

My questions is:

1. Shall I sell it (encrypted format)
    2. Shall I sell it (unencrypted format with a higher price)
    3. Shall I give it away free (in encrypted form) to form a community of users (like articledashboard.com)

I personally feel to go with option 3.

What do you suggest?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your goal for this venture?
    - Ted S

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I have mentioned, earlier the aim was to sell it..now the preference is to gather a list of loyal friends and then start profiting from it slowly.

Am I thinking right?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe offer a lite version and a paid version?

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's definitely advantages of offering it for free, but I think if you do, it has to be fully open source. That way you stand to build a much larger community as developers can contribute to the project, they can also fully hack and customise and you'll have support taken care of by all your forum community. You then just need to work out an 'angle' on how you can make money from the project - sell ad space, sell yourself (developer services), sell preminum support, sell custom add-ons, sell other scripts, etc.

I'm not sure if you want this to turn into a debate about encryption, but I fail to see the reasoning behind offering a unencrypted version for a higher price, not if encryption is being used to halt piracy - thieves will still pay the higher price if they think they can still benefit from the source code an it only takes one person to buy the unencrypted version and start distributing it on P2P networks.

You could always incorporate a licensing encyption in which one key file is encrypted and this is contains some major functions and licensing info. But again, the word 'encryption' is always going to turn away a large number of potential users.