SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How could this be a scam?

I got an email from someone in singapore wanting to purchase a very specific router worth $10.000. They asked me if I acceptec credit cards, which I do. Apperantly this router is not available overthere.

He has given me his credit card number, and wants me to charge it to him, and then send him out the unit. I would get a bonus from him, which I would also charge to his card at the same time...

This just seems really weird to me. How could this be a scam? I am not planning on going forward with this at this point, but I don't know how I could be scammed doing this?

Could it be that once they receive the router that they do a chargeback on the transaction?
    Maarten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is, accept that, don't act on it.

We receive a dozen of these a week, the card is probably stolen.

When dealing with Singapore and Malaysia, you need to check up on the buyer, verify that they are legit before even beginning to discuss any sales.

If he is really serious and needs the product, have him wire the money to your bank account.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about it, when was the last time you offered some random company a bonus to send you a product?

It's perfectly logical to pay a rush fee but one would generally call, inquire about availability, arrange an expedited shipping method and so forth if urgency was the case.

To get an email that asks for an expensive item without any prior contact and with the offer of more money to send it is a big red flag. For all you know, the card could be stolen or, as you put it, they could be planning to reverse the charges.

Why not ask them to wire you the money, or send a company check. If they're legitimate that won't be an issue.
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, obviously I know there are red flags. Otherwise I would not be asking. I just wanted to know where they would get me. And the theory of the credit card being stolen makes perfect sense!
    Maarten

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get a bonus from him, which I would also charge to his card at the same time...
    I the scammer wasn't so over-zealous, he could probably get you :-0

a $10.000 chargeback wouldn't have been nice!

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The best solution is to call your merchant account services, explain the situation to them and ask them to verify that the numbers are from a valid card that has not been reported as lost or stolen. They can also look up the contact information of the card holder and check to see if the router was a bonafide order or a scam.

However, you have the shipping address, etc... You can ask your merchant account services if the address matches the one they have.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also add that in the US, matching AVS (address verification service) and authorized shipto addresses will go a long distance in making sure you don't have to deal with fraudulent card charges.

When you are dealing with a foreign credit card, it may verify, but there are absolutely no guarantees. On top of that, there may be no AVS verfication available. And then there is the stuff that has been pulled on us where the customer uses a credit card to order several small orders and then at the point of the third or fourth order, they will place a large value order, and then do a chargeback claiming that the card was stolen. You are over a barrel as the product is in a foreign country, probably long gone, if not, the recovery and reshipment is too expensive to bring the product back into the country.

Verify that the shipto address is the billing address, ask for identity documentation and valid bank card information that ties the credit card to a known bank. Use a delivery service that actively documents receipt of product to the customer.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr
    I just wanted to know where they would get me.
    They'd get a free router.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!